Chapter 20

"Hey you came, I was afraid when you weren't home that you had run away." Lucas said.

Audrey laughed.

"Charlotte just had to go shopping, so of course she couldn't go alone." Audrey said.

In actuality Audrey had been the one to suggest shopping not feeling up to seeing Lucas until that night for dinner. She had spent the whole day looking at clothes while actually trying to wrap her head around the fact that, though she knew Lucas had been hiding something, she hadn't expected him to not be him.

Ethan had explained how when he tried to pull up the information connected to the hair DNA that security clearances popped up and shut down his computer. Audrey asked what the next step was and Ethan said that he was sending it up the line hoping the high paid people would have the power to get the information they needed. He wouldn't know until later whether they could get it or not and until then Ethan and her had to wait.

Audrey had barely slept and escaped the house with Charlotte as early as possible, knowing Lucas might come around.

"Something about your personality makes it hard for me to picture you shopping, but as long as you didn't run away."

"Never." Audrey said.

She stepped into the foyer and looked around, mentally finding her way back to the library.

"How've you been?" Lucas said.

He leaned in and Audrey turned her head slightly, leaving Lucas kissing her cheek.

"Your parents aren't watching us, are they?" Audrey asked.

Lucas smiled in understanding.

"No, they're out back. Come on."

He took her hand and they walked down the hallway through a large living room and out to a patio. There was a set of couches ringed around a fire pit and a large table set for four. The air was cool and an even breeze blew across the patio, making he candles dance.

"We are going to have real Texas baroque, which is the only real baroque there is, or so I'm told." Lucas joked.

"Sounds great." Audrey said, everything in her wanting to let go of his hand.

"Mom, dad this is Audrey Wood. Audrey my parents, Nora and Wallace."

"It's a pleasure to meet you." Audrey said, shaking their hands.

A thought about who these people really were flashed across her mind. She knew that the woman was really Lucas's mother, the facial similarities and mannerism were too alike to be a fake, as for his father she felt that he wasn't related. She wondered if he was really Lucas's step father.

"The pleasure is all ours, Lucas she is just as beautiful as you said." Nora said, syrupy.

"Thank you. You have a beautiful house."

"Thanks, but I can't take much credit, I hired a designer to do the whole thing, I have never been one for decorating."

"My mother has other hobbies than decorating."

"Like what?" Audrey asked.

"I do a lot of charity work."

"Really, that's wonderful. I do some myself, what charities do you work with, we might have common friends." Audrey lied, trying to see exactly who this woman was.

Charlotte's mother was on almost every charity society and Charlotte talked about the women and their daughters a lot, so Audrey knew enough to know if Nora was lying.