{THREE}

{THREE}

"Eric for the love of God get off your cell phone at the table, we're eating supper." I could scold him until my face turned blue but still every night Eric will have his phone hiding under the table like he was trying to hide it from his maths teacher during a test thinking his mother and I wouldn't see him. "Honestly what could be more important right now than spending time with your family."

"Literally anything."Eric huffed sliding his phone into his pocket where it would most likely stay for at most five minutes.

"Eric." Janet gave him her 'Don't start' tone Eric was a typical teenage boy, moody, hormonal and covered in pimples. Its It's crazy to think at his age I had a baby crawling around because God knows Eric wasn't ready for a child yet. If ever. Plus he wasn't dating anyone as far as I knew, he was a good-looking kid. Blonde hair, green eyes, strong features and a tall, broad build. He was a football star and was, as I liked to call him. An anti-social butterfly. He loved to be out and about but he hated being around new people.

But he was my boy, my oldest and just like Morgan I had a tendency to spoil him. Like buying him a new phone after he broke the last two. Or giving him my old car for his birthday.

"Are you excited for your bed game next weekend? Coach tells me you'll be on the starting line again. Nervous?"

"Of course not." Was Eric's arrogant reply as he shoved a spoonful of mash potatoes in his mouth. I decided to end my attempt at a conversation with him, knowing fully well that whatever mood he was in would pass by around bedtime and he would be the best kind again. So instead I turned my attention to Morgan, who was looking out the floor to ceiling window while chewing on her food. Her skin was tanned and her eyes looking further away then the unstained wooden fence in our backyard.

"Morgan, how was your day?" My youngest turned her head towards me and gave me a small smile.

"It was fine. We had a math test today but I totally passed. And everyone found out that Rachel Hacker is pregnant. Isn't that crazy? She's like,16."

"I was sixteen when I first got pregnant."

"Yeah but you're different, you're a mom." I couldn't help but laugh at the innocents that were Morgan. She wasn't the type of kid to go off and do drugs, or smoke, or drink. Or at least that's what my weak father heart likes to tell me. Sometimes I forget she's a thirteen-year-old and not my sweet little two years running around in a pull up while drinking the rest of her brothers Gatorade with the sweetest little pigtails in her hair.

"Are you excited for your big game next Friday? Rosanna told me that coach is putting you on the starting line up. Are you nervous."This was Janet's attempt at trying to get Eric to talk again. Not the best attempt either seeing as Eric more often than not played the starting line up.

"No. Why would I be nervous? Do you not think I can play well enough to be starting line?"

"No, of course not that's not what I was-"

"Whatever. I'm going to my room."

And with that Eric pulled away from the table leaving his plate behind and taking his phone out. Again. And the three of us were left without the eldest child to finish our meal.

Later that night after everything was cleared up from dinner Janet and I laid side by side in bed, her reading a book while I flipped through channels on the TV. "Do you think we should put him in therapy?"

"What?" I looked at my wife, her hair braided down her back like she had two heads. "Why would we do that?"

"He's been so moody lately."

"Sweetie I know you had to grow up fast and missed all the fun drama that was teenage years. But let me tell you, that attitude of his it 100% normal and nothing to be worried about."

"Do you think he's being bullied?"

I laughed at how ridiculous she sounded. "Of course I don't. But if it'll make you feel better I'll snoop his phone tomorrow night."

Janet nodded, snuggling back down in the blankets before looking up at me.
"Sidney, I've been thinking." Oh well, that was never good. "What about if we had another baby."

"Janet, I don't know if you were drunk for this. But I had a vasectomy two years after Morgan was born." I said playfully, really hate the idea of having any more kids. Not that I didn't want more. It was just the making them that was the issue. I could hardly last five minutes into sex with Janet every week. And if she wanted a baby she'd be expecting us to try every chance we had.
"You could get it reversed. Or we can adopt."

"I don't know if that's the best idea right now sweetie. I'm at a great place at work, plus Morgan and Eric need us right now with all the sports and stuff. Maybe we should just hold off. Besides we're still young. It's not like it's too late or anything."

"I'm sure are big babies could handle a little baby. Besides, you wouldn't need to take time off. I'm home all day anyway."

"Janet I just don't think it's the right time."

"If not now, then when?"

"Janet." she didn't reply. Just rolled over and turned off the light on her side of the bed. I guess we were going to ignore our 'never go to bed angry' rule tonight. I let out a sigh. Almost thankfully for the fact that I didn't need to perform tonight, so I just turned off the tv and laid down in bed. I gave Janet a kiss on her shoulder. "I love you, Jan." and turned over to go to sleep. And in my sleep that night I was met with messy blonde hair and soft brown eyes that I couldn't quite pinpoint.

 And in my sleep that night I was met with messy blonde hair and soft brown eyes that I couldn't quite pinpoint

1063