Chapter 63

~Daryl's POV~

Its been hours upon hours since Katie took off with dozens of the dead following behind her. My heart is heavy, the hope of her still being alive withering away with each passing minute. I sit in the corner of the store alone, my arms wrapped tightly around my knees.

"Look...guys...I know this isn't something any of us want to talk about...but..we have to consider...um...moving on..." T-dog says carefully. Everyone stays deathly quiet. Most of them looking to me for a reaction, but i just can't. My mind is so overwhlemed with grief, anger, denial, i can't even bring myself to speak. I'm not moving. They can go, I don't give a fuck what they do, but I'm not giving up on her. I know my baby, she's out there. She's coming back. We always find our way back.

"We aren't going anywhere." Rick says angrily.

"Rick...come on man you have to at least consider..." Rick cuts him off.

"No. I will NEVER consider leaving my family behind. You wanna go..go.. I cant stop you, but im staying."

"We're staying too." Maggie says from beside Beth and Hershel.

"Us too. Right mom?" Sophia says sweetly from beside Carl.

"Without a doubt." She answers.

"Well I guess its settled then." Lori says.

"How could you even think about leaving her like that?" Beth questions. "She's your friend. She's one of us." Her voice showing how hurt she is by just the idea of it.

"I just thought we should put all our options on the table, thats all." T replies.

"Uh hey guys..." Glenn says warily from the doorway. "You should probably see this." I get up from my place in hopes its her, i join the group swarmed around the door, peaking through the covered windows. A woman completely coated in blood drags herself straight towards us.

"Is it her?" Carl asks from behind everyone.

"Is she alive?" Beth whimpers.

"I...i don't know..." Glenn answers.

"She's covered in blood..." Lori says weakly. I shove passed them all, opening the door. I can't think about anything other than having her back in my arms.

"Daryl don't!" Maggie cries. "She could be turned!" I don't care. I don't care if she kills me, I'm not afraid to die, theres nothing that scares me more than losing her. I cant.

"Katie!" I croak, sprinting to her. God please let it be her, I pray as i approach them. "Oh thank god." I cry hysterically, not even bothering to try to hide it. She looks to me, but it's like shes seeing right through me. My heart drops into my stomach, my body turning to ice. Her eyes are glossy, her arms hanging limply by her sides, she looks...dead. But then she takes a step towards me, and i see her bright blue eyes looking desperately at me. She's weak, exhausted, but she's alive. I gasp as she stumbles toward me. I take her into my arms, dropping to me knees as she falls unconscious, the exhaustion just too much for her body to handle. I pull her into me, crying into her hair. The relief, the joy, just too much to contain. The others gather around us, their faces solemn and full of worry.

"Is she..." Rick begins to ask but chokes on tears.

"She's alive." I croak. "She's alive." I repeat. Letting myself soak in the realization that she came back to me.

"Let me see her." Hershel says, kneeling down beside us.

"Where's the blood coming from?" Lori asks in a panic. "Is she hurt?" Hershel laughs.

"What? What is it?" Maggie asks him. He licks his thumb then wipes it across her skin, leaving a clean streaks of skin.

"Its not her blood." He laughs. "Walker's if i had to guess by the smell of it."

"Like we did in the city." Glenn says. "After we found Rick." Hershel nods.

"No fever, no obvious bites or wounds, she's gonna be fine." He announces happily as he stands.

"Come on." Rick says. "Lets get everyone inside, its getting dark." I scoop Katie up in my arms, carrying her inside. I place her gently on the ground, letting her rest.

"Hear that baby? Mamas home." Beth coos to Ella who's craddled sleepily in her arms. I sit down beside Katie, flooded with guilt. I was so wrapped up in losing her, in myself, that I failed as a father. If Katie had turned and bit me Ella would have been left an orphan. I was selfish, and i won't let that happen again.