Chapter 38

I wake up to an empty bed. I throw the comforter off of me, scanning the room for something to put on over my bare body. I pull Shane's oversized t-shirt over my head letting it dangle just past my butt, then I hurry down the stairs in search of Shane. I find him in the kitchen with his back to me, his unbuckled pants hanging loosely on his waist. I wrap my arms around him, leaning my head against his muscular back. He swivels around to face me. My heart begins race, my stomach in knots. When he turns around I am not facing the handsome caring man that may be the father of my baby, I am facing a monster. His once gorgeous brown eyes are now grey and dull, his beautiful skin decaying before my eyes. I shove myself away from him, hot tears sliding down my cheeks. Grief and fear pumping through my veins as he snaps his yellowing teeth at me. He...it backs me against the wall getting closer and closer. So close I can smell his rotting flesh as he grabs a hold of me. I'm frozen with overwhelming fear, I can't fight back, I can't move. His teeth are centimeters from my throat when I jump awake. My body is trembling from the cool evening air but I'm covered in sweat. I push myself up off the cold hard ground frantically looking around me, my head pounding. The sun has already started to set. I gasp making a shocking realization. "It was a dream." I whisper to myself. "It was all a dream." I hold my head in my hands trying to come to terms with what the hell happened. I must've passed out again...I think to myself. I've been laying here in the dirt alone this whole time, Shane was never here... I grab ahold of the nearest tree, my head spining as I pull myself to my feet. I stumble a few feet before I hear someone yelling for me.

"Katie! Katie!" I can hear the panic in his voice as he continues to call for me. I try to yell out to him but it comes on in a weak whisper.

"Daryl.." I cry weakly. He barrels through the last few trees separating us. I collapse into his arms as he runs to me.

"Kat! Thank god you're alright."

"I'm sorry Daryl I'm so so sorry."

"Shhh it's okay, it's alright. It's gonna be alright." He says softly comforting me. I bury my face into his shoulder and cry. He wraps his arms around me. He runs a hand over my hair. "Come on baby let's get you home. I look up at him so grateful for everything he's done for me.

"I love you." I cry. "I love you so much."

"I love you too Katie." He says kissing my forehead. He grabs my hand and we walk a few steps until he realizes how weak and exhausted I am. "Come here baby." He gently lifts me up, carrying me like a bride on her wedding day. I cuddle into him, my head tucked gently into the crook of his neck. I close my eyes savoring how safe I feel in his arms. "It's okay, I've got you." He whispers as he carries me through the woods. He grunts occasionally as he walks, coping with the pain in his side from the arrow wound. My eyes are heavy with sleep but every time I close my eyes I see Shane as a walker gazing hungrily at me from across that kitchen. I keep reminding myself it was all a dream until finally we get back to the house. Rick greets us worriedly, bombarding us with questions as soon as we step onto the front porch.

"Katie, thank god! Where have you been? Are you alright? What's wrong?"  I sigh tiredly.

"I just needed some space to breathe..." I say sadly. "..but I pushed myself too far. I must've passed out cause I woke up on the ground in the middle of no where. Then Daryl found me." I lean back into Daryl, my head foggy.

"I'll get Hershel." Rick says overreacting like big brothers do.

"No Rick really I'm fine."

"Katie you can barely stand.." Daryl pipes in.

"I'm just tired that's all." I say not wanting to burden Hershel anymore than we already have.

"I'm getting Hershel." Rick says not taking no for an answer. I roll my eyes. Daryl takes me inside and lays me on the bed we stayed in last night.

"Daryl...your stomach." He looks down and see's the blood soaking through his shirt. He lifts up his tank top revealing the reopened wound on his side. "I hurt you.." I say my heart heavy after everything that happened today.

"No baby I'm fine, I just ripped my stiches that's all." He grabs a new bandage out of the bedside table and places it over the hole the arrow left behind. He secures it with medical tape then sits on the bed beside me. "See?" He says taking my hand. "I'm fine." I nod. He scoots closer to me, leaning back against the bed board. I lay my head in his lap, just wanting to be close to him. He rests his arm on my shoulder playing with my hair. My hand flies to my stomach as I feel a slight flutter in my belly. I gasp, my eyes are wide with suprise. "What is it? What's wrong?" Daryl asks me worriedly. I smile up at him.

"The baby..." I say happily. "I think I just felt it move." He beams down at me. "It was little, but it was there." My eyes fill up with tears, happy tears this time. I remember the first time I felt Sammy move, I had never felt anything so beautiful and terrifying before. I remember being so scared that I wasn't ready, but back then I never imagined I'd be here pregnant during the apocalypse. The fear I feel now has become a part of our everyday existence. Fear is how we survive now. I sit up taking Daryl's hand and placing it on my belly over where I felt the baby. I know he won't be able to feel anything yet, but I love that I get to share this beautiful moment with him.

"He's right here..." I say holding is hand on top of my belly.

"He?" He asks.

"Or she." I say with a smile.

"I don't care what it is. I'm gonna love that baby with all I got no matter what it turns out to be." I lay my head on his shoulder. He rubs his thumb across my belly.

"God I love you." I say smiling up at him. He places a gentle kiss on my lips. Rick bursts into the room, a panicked look on his face.

"Hershel's gone."