Chapter 54

The sun is completely risen now, the sharpness of the air from the night before still lingering behind. Daryl stands in anticipation. He takes my hand and pulls me up with him. We stare at the car in the distance, the excitement burning away at my stomach. God please be let it be them, I think to myself nervously. Daryl gives my hand a gentle squeeze, with Ella cradled gently in his other arm. The car pulls to a stop, and to my relief my big brother jumps out of the front seat. I drop Daryl's hand and run to him. Jumping into his arms, tears of joy stinging my ice cold cheeks.

"Thank God." He mutters into my hair, his hand resting on the back of my head. Sweet little Carl joins our embrace, his Sheriff's hat pressing into my stomach as he wraps his arms around my waist.  My heart bursts with joy at the sight of my nephew safe and sound, just being able to hold him in my arms again dulls the intense fear echoing through my veins. I look up from our loving reunion and see Hershel exiting the car, his face heavy with sadness.

"Maggie? Beth?" He asks me. I hang my head solemnly, I was hoping the girls had gotten out with them, but truthfully I had no clue what happened to anyone after I got seperated by the herd.

"We haven't seen anyone else since the farm." I say quietly.

"Wait, where's mom? You said she'd be here. W-we gotta go back for her!" Carl cries. 

"Carl...." Rick tries to place a hand on hi son's shoulder, but Carl backs away. His eyes glowing with hurt. 

"No! Why are we running? What are you doing? I-Its mom! We need to go get her, not be safe miles away! She could be in trouble!"

"Shh. You need to be quiet, all right?" Rick says softly, afraid the walkers lurking in the woods will hear him.

"Please. Please It's mom!" He repeats tearfully.

"Look, Carl...listen" 

"No." He grunts in frustration storming away,  weaving through the abandoned cars surrounding us. My heart breaks for him, the overwhelming fear of losing our family must be even more uncontrollable for him. Rick sighs, worry showing through his tough exterior.

"Rick. You and Katie have got to get your boy and that baby to safety. I'll wait here for my girls and the others. I know a few places. We'll meet up at one of them later." Hershel suggests. My mouth drops in shock, unable to process the thought of actually leaving him behind.

"Where? Where is safe?" Rick snaps.

"We're not splitting up!" There's no way I'm leaving him behind...not a chance.

"Please." He begs. "Keep your children safe. I'll hide in one of the cars. If a walker gets me, so be it. I've lost my farm. I've lost my wife and maybe my daughters." He says hopelessly.

"You don't know that....they'll be here." 

"And you don't know that."

"You're a man of God. Have some faith." Rick pleads.

"I can't profess to understand , but Christ promised the resurrection of the dead....I just thought he had something a little different in mind." Hershel says, almost laughing at the last part.

"Maybe he's right guys...." Daryl says from beside me. "There are walkers all over the place...out in the open like this, especially with the baby...its only a matter if time..." Rick sighs, rubbing his forehead in thought. He bends down in front a Carl, who had just returned.

"We're not safe here Carl..." Carl opens his mouth to argue, but i shush him.

"Do you hear that?" I whisper to the others, and sure enough they do. The gentle hum of a car approaching in the distance. We sit in silence, watching as a caravan of vehicles pulls in around us. I'm overwhelmed with emotion as our family starts unloading from their cars, everyone greeting their loved ones. T-dog, Carol, Sophia, Lori, Maggie, Glenn, Beth, Cass...but I can't help but notice the ones that are missing Jimmy, Patricia, Andrea....Shane.... Oh god, I think to myself. Shane. I know we fight and we have our issues, but when push comes to he's my family, hell he may even be the father of that beautiful baby girl of mine.