Chapter 6

*Later that night in Katie's dream*

I'm surrounded by darkness. My heart beat and heavy breaths echoing in the silence.

"Hello!?" I call into the darkness, in hope someone would hear me. My pulse quickens as the continued silence rings in my ears. "Hello!? Is anyone there!?" I scream, panicking. A loud voice booms through the air.

"Don't be afraid Katie. Be strong, like I always taught you." I'd know that voice anywhere.

"Rick?" I asked confused. Suddenly a huge orange light appears in the distance.

"I need you Katie...Save me..." his voice slowly fades away.

"Rick!? Rick!! Come back!!" I call to him desperately. I have to save him... I run as fast as I can toward the light. When I reach the source I'm hit by a wave of heat. The sky illuminates, filling with flames. I look around frantically, and notice I'm trapped in the burning city. I stand in the middle of the street. A ring of fire surrounding me. I cough on the heavy smoke in the air, the deafening sound of the fire roaring in my ears. Shadowy figures emerge from the flames, surrounding me so I have no way to escape.

"Help! Somebody please! Help me!" I scream into the fire. The silhouettes become clearer as they shuffle toward me. The dead bodies of Rick and Shane emerge from the flames before me, bite marks scattered over their skin.

"You're too late Katie...." Rick says angrily.

"This all your fault!" Shane screams at me, as they slowly proceed toward me. Tears burn my eyes.

"No!" I cry hoarsely, shaking my head at the two men I love most. I back away from them, only to bump into someone else. I spin around, panicking, and see little Carl, a huge bite mark gorged from his neck. A sob rips from my chest. I fight the urge to drop to my knees.

"Look what you did to us Aunt Katie!" He screams.

"You killed as all!" Lori pipes in.

"No! No, I didn't!" I scream at them desperately through tears as they enclose on me. The heat from the fire scalds my skin. I watch in horror as everyone I love growls at me hungrily, watching me with dead unwavering eyes. "Stop it! Leave me alone! All of you stop it!" I plead. They grab a hold of me with their cold dead fingers, shaking me, fighting over my flesh. I flail my arms, trying to get them away from me. My fist makes contact with Shane's face. He stumbles back for a moment, but then immediately comes back to me. I scream as four bloody jaws snap at my skin.

*End of dream*

"No! No! No!" I scream desperately

"Katie wake up! It's just a dream!" I jolt awake to Shane shaking me. My arms are still flailing. Sweat beads on my forehead, as I pant, trying to catch my breath. I sit up quickly, scooting to the edge of the tent, away from Shane, fear racing through me. I look up at Shane, still gasping for air, and see him holding his cheek, a look of shock on his face. I realize I must have hit him in my sleep. I pull my legs to my chest, burying my face in my knees as I cry. Shane sits on the ground beside me, pulling me into him. I curl up against him, wrapping my arms around his waist as he rubs my back. I look at him, placing a hand gently against his cheek.

"I'm so sorry Shane, I didn't mean to hurt you....it all felt so real...." I cry into his shirt.

"Shh...it's ok...It's over now..." He whispers as he kisses the top of my head. "I've got you now." I eventually cry myself to sleep in his arms, mentally and physically exhausted.

*The next day*

I snuck out of the tent early this morning before Shane woke up. I've been avoiding him all day, embarrassed about my outburst last night. I see him walking towards me from my spot by the fire, where I was helping Lori make lunch. I quickly drop the wild berries I found into the pot, and hurry off into the woods, not wanting to talk to him. He follows me into the woods. He grabs my hand, so I can't run anymore. I turn to face him.

"What the hell's going on with you Katie?" He asks, his eyes filled with concern.

"Nothing...I'm fine..." I mumble, just wanting to get away. I look at the ground.

"You're not fine..."

"Shane, really...I'm f-" He cuts me off.

"Damn it Katie stop trying to push me away." He snaps, frustrated. "I'm here for you..." He says, his voice softening. He places a hand up to my cheek. "Please...talk to me..." I lean into his touch.

"I'm scared..." I whisper, as I look up into his watery brown eyes.

"I am too baby, but we've got each other...and our new group...Lori, Carl, these people...that's all that matters. We've got to stick together, ok?" He asks as he pulls me into a hug. I nod against his chest. After a moment I pull away a little. I look up at him.

"I'm sorry...." I whisper before kissing him softly. After a moment he pulls away, looking down at me. He gently tucks a stray strand of hair behind my ear.

"I'm worried about you..." He says quietly, as he watches me intently, his eyebrows furrowing.

"Shane, seriously. I'm fine." I say trying to reassure him.

"No. You're not. I know you Katie...you've never had a panic attack like that before.." I immediately get irritated by the change of topic.

"Yeah, well I've never been chased by flesh eating dead people before." I say laughing sarcastically.

"Katie this isn't funny...you could have been killed. What if I'm not there next time..." He says seriously. I pull away.

"You mean like you weren't there for Rick." I spit out defensively. Immediately regretting what I had said. His mouth drops open and he steps back, like he'd just been slapped in the face. Tears brim his eyes.

"I tried Katie..I fought so damn hard to get him out of there..I was too late. The power was down...his machines were off. There was nothing I could do...the hospital was overrun. I almost died!" He raised his voice, running a hand through his hair. I put a hand on his arm apologetically.

"I know you did...Shane I'm so sorry...I didn't mea-"

"I know...you didn't mean it." He leans forward and kisses my forehead. "I'll talk to you later..." He mumbles before walking back to camp. I sit on the ground with my back up against a tree. I lean my head back against the tree and watch as the leaves above me flutter in the subtle breeze. I miss my brother so much it hurts, and I just want everything to go back to the way things were before the dead decided to throw themselves a welcome home party. None of this is Shane's fault, I shouldn't be taking it out on him. I stand and go after him, knowing I have to make things right with him.