TWELVE

I decided to keep a close eye on the Doctor as he appeared to become more and more separated from the group, busy in his own world, I could only imagine how chaotic and covered in anarchy his mind would be. I notice how he would go astray and an expression of utter disorientation would mask his features. He seemed to become more and more paranoid, rarely giving any attention to his peers and so much as to hang onto reality itself, he'd seldom get lost or seem to talk to himself.

I heard him say a few broken words which seem to mistakenly trickle down his weary mouth, his being was disheveled and even Tank seemed to notice this. Dempsey along with Takeo seemed to look at each other in unison, both men on the same path of suspiciousness. And then with the slamming open of the huge shutter of the facility, our tiny assembly of the only living lumps of flesh and bones ran scattered to take positions on the battlefield. I looked back longingly at the illuminated quarters of the facilities and the slight thought of Hans drifted too unmistakably to settle down in my mind, the thought was neediness yet I was alert of the growing affection that was to halt immediately. There is no room for such thoughts, it's a belief that's an end in itself...

My tattered yet strong hands tightened the grip on the gun, a bigger gun that I couldn't identify was attached at my back, I learnt to shoot and reload and that was enough, the harsh recoil of the bridge of the gun when the hammer punched distorted my thumb and joint. The gun was the one bestowed by Dempsey and I for the first time glorified this firepower, the black metal was sleek and bold, the nose warped like that of a bulldog's with a short stump where lead hid. A leather holster with a dagger, again complements to Dempsey's private collection, clung to my side was a loyal ally.

The air was cool and light, a storm was coming, it stretched its long fingernails to rattle up the graves of the fallen and the sky seem to labor demons that howled in excitement, it was a bliss. I closed my eyes and exhaled, the fog drifted to the heavens like an omen to the gods.

There was a faint rumble in the air and I adjusted my glasses to focus on the foggy images of a wave of undead, some crawled out of their pits of unrequited stupor...

I licked my lips and with a tiny growl to envelope my panic and fright and the phenomenon of a crumbling of will, I ran. The slippery mud hungrily swallowed my shoes, I resisted the urge to fall into the embrace of the wind and shot thrice at the closest zombie, sending it slumping to the ground. Another ran towards me with a frothing mouth and a growl equally putrid, I grabbed a metal rod from nearby and with all my might hit its head, blood sprayed to mix with the heavy air.

The winds grew stronger, almost overpowering my hearing abilities, I saw Takeo slicing an undead from limb to limb. I stumbled and nearly fell, but regained my balance, my ego a little scratched and my will wavering. I shot two more, swung at another and with the eighth one down I was covered in blood and dead meat. My braid was slick with mist and sweat tickled the base of my chin, I hastily wiped at it.

I ran into one and plunged the dagger deep into its  ribs, feeling the delicate tendons snapping and the crunching of the ribs, it was delightful...

'Something's wrong...'

"Argh! Die you fucktard, die!" I screamed and shot one in the chest, I limped to turn and see that  one zombie had clanged to my feet, I pushed it free and shot it twice. My right leg bent in an odd angle and I felt a stinging burn near my ankles, it might have been a little graze...

Another zombie came jolting at me, a few following it, I took it as my cue to run the fuck out of the way. I ran to my nearest sanctuary, a booming American accent prized an exhilarating feeling that I had missed for so long. Tank was a specimen out of this world, he squashed zombie heads on the trench pipes with hits I could only wince at. Takeo's lean muscles bulged as he swung his katana, his excellent physique was quick like that of a Jaguar, the many bands and straps hauled at his chest tightened has he kicked a zombie in the face and ran with speed. I quickly shot a few zombies and ran to hide behind a barricade to reload, my mind running in fast, I panted and swung over my rifle, I ran and shot.