“So, I did something I’d never thought I would do –I made an appointment with Mr. Brighton and told him everything. I told him how you were kidnapped, who you were with and what they were forcing you into. I promised him that I would go with Mason, take you out of the scene and call in an anonymous tip to the cops to try and get rid of at least a good portion of both gangs.”

“And he believed you? You of all people?”

Jack leaned forward, grinning. “You know I can be very persuasive, Sweetheart, when I want to be.” Jack leaned even closer towards me and planted a swift kiss on my lips, making my heart flutter.

“Continue.” I said, trying to hide the fact that I was most likely blushing.

“Well, anyways, Brighton could see that I was telling the truth and gave me permission to make plans with Mason and Carlos. I gathered enough information to know that you were Derek’s favorite new toy, that he wouldn’t let you leave his side. So, I knew even during the deal he’d be close by watching and listening. I also knew that if the cops came, Mason would run away in an instant, thinking it was a Widow’s plot and would end up running straight towards the side of the alley where Derek and a few others would most likely be waiting for you and your stuff.

“Carlos told me about the manhole and I decided it’d be the best place to keep you safe so that the cops wouldn’t find you. Sure, I could have been caught since I was the rat and all, but I didn’t want you to be in a sticky situation with them – especially with all that money on your hands.

“So I made Brighton promise above anything else that you and I would remain anonymous to the cops – there would be no recollection that we were ever even there at that deal. Mason will think Derek turned him in for police favor and Derek would think Mason did the same thing to you. And we, we’d just simply fall through the cracks. Clever, right?”

Jack smiled and I couldn’t help but grin back at him. This was just so perfect.

“So did it work? Are Mason and Derek in jail?”

“Surprisingly yes, both were convicted of dealing and honestly the cops have been hunting them for the better half of this decade. So, yeah, we should be mostly in the clear. Of course my gang and the Widow’s aren’t gone now, but Carlos was able to take control of my gang and I’m sure there’s no one who can actually take Derek’s place and do it well. Besides, none of this could ever be tracked back to us. The only person who knows is Brighton and he had enough dirt of his own to keep his mouth shut.”

“Dirt?” I questioned, raising an eyebrow.

“Yeah, he surprisingly had a not-so-bright past. Lots of drugs, gang work – he’s kind of one of us.”

“You’re kidding.” I deadpanned.

“Not in the least, Babe. From this day on, you and me are free.”

I couldn’t help it. I squealed and threw my arms around Jack even though the pain of doing that nearly made me pass out even with all the pain meds the doctors had shot up my veins.

“Be careful,” Jack said, I didn’t try and rescue you only for you to get hurt again.

“I can handle a little bit of pain.” I dismissed. But still, I listened and loosened my arms so that I could sit back in bed.

“I know.” Jack smiled again and reached forward to stroke my hand.

We sat there, not really saying much, but happy when the doctor came back in.

“So, Ally are you ready for your parents to come and see you.”

I snorted. “I’ll never be ready, but if they actually want to they can come in.”