4 -Scabs

“Fucking Hell,” I groaned as I turned around in sopping wet bed sheets. “It’s like fucking five in the morning.”

 “Five thirty to be exact,” an annoyingly chipper voice corrected.

“Huh?” I shot up into a sitting position, accidently hitting my head on the headboard in the process. I clutched my hands to my head, “Oh Fuck it.”

“What the hell was all that for?” I stood up warily and began wringing out my soaking clothes, watching bitterly as a small puddle formed on the floorboards.

“It’s time to wake up,” The girl shrugged as she twisted her dark, crimson-red lips into a small smile. She was obviously enjoying her little morning wake-up call.

“And you couldn’t just shake me awake?”

“Sorry,” she grinned in a way that didn’t look apologetic at all. “I didn’t want to get any of your preppy cooties on me.”

And that’s when it dawned at me that this was the same girl from the circle yesterday, the one decked out in the extreme makeup.

Great.

 Not only did I have to have a roommate, but in addition said roommate already seemed to hate me. Maybe that Jack guy wasn’t wrong – I really do seem to have a knack for making enemies.

I sighed. “Why does everyone here seem to hate me so much?” I kneeled down and began digging through the mess of clothes that was my suitcase looking for something to wear.

“Because you don’t belong here.”

My head snapped up and I rolled my eyes at her, “No shit.”

She laughed curtly. “No, not for the reasons you think. Did it ever occur to you that a lot of us aren’t really insane and that we’re stuck in the exact same situation as you? No. Instead your preppy little ass automatically thinks it’s better than everyone else in this damn place. We don’t like preps as a rule- annoying kiss asses that they are. But your attitude on top of that is a one way ticket to making enemies. If I were you I’d try and learn the food chain around here. Because right now, babe, you’re sitting at rock bottom.”

The girl sniffed and tossed her long bleach-blonde hair over her shoulder. I frowned.

“Okay then,” I mumbled, “I guess I’m sorry…for offending you…by being who I am?”

She snorted, “You’re so full of yourself it’s not even funny.”

I furrowed my eyebrows. Who stuck a stick up her ass?

I finished rummaging in my suitcase and pulled out my favorite light blue halter top dress. Then, to better cover up my scars, I grabbed a white long-sleeved cardigan and white tights to match. Perfect.

I went in the bathroom to quickly change and apply some light makeup, and found my roommate sitting on her bed, a magazine in hand, when I reentered the room.

“You didn’t have to wait up for me,” I frowned as I sat on my bed, opposite hers.

“I didn’t dumbass – we’re not allowed to go to the cafeteria until six thirty.”

“Oh,” I mumbled stupidly.

“Class starts at seven just to let you know. You’ll probably want to get your schedule before then.”

“Thanks,” I mumbled. At least I’d have an excuse to not face the cafeteria again.

I tried to waste as much time as possible by walking at an agonizingly slow place as I went to pick up my schedule.