31- Caught

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.

I couldn’t help but bite my nails down to the bit as I sweated profusely in the back of the police car.

Shit.

My hands and knees were stinging, conjuring up a host of unpleasant memories from my last major dealing with the police.

Due to the fear welling in the pit of my stomach, I hardly noticed the short ride back to the police station at the town center, hardly noticed being led inside and then forced to sit next to Jack in a poorly-lit little interrogation room.

When I finally looked up to a voice commanding attention, I was happy to see that the other cop had left.

The cop standing in front of us was wider, dark haired with sideburns. He looked younger and nicer than the first though he was condescendingly raising his eyebrow at me.

“Your name?” He questioned, tapping his foot impatiently against the floorboards.

“Jenna Tiller.” I answered without hesitation.

“So, Jenna my friend Mr. Carleston seemed to have some problems with your story.”

“I don’t see why…” I frowned, putting on my best innocent face. “It was only the truth.”

“I get it. Believe me, I get it. Cops are intimidating. So here’s what I’m going to do for you. I just want to quick take some fingerprints, make sure you don’t have a criminal record. If you’re all clear, you’re free to go on your way.”

Biting my lip, I shot Jack a side glance. His expression was pained and I could see his hand curled into a tight fist in his lap.

“Sure…” I sighed in resignation as I held out my hand to the officer who quickly scanned my thumb using the small machine sitting in front of him.

This was one time when there was simply just no way out.  Nothing. My mind was hopelessly empty.

After he’d finished scanning the two of us, he consulted the computer lying next to him on the desk. The light of the screen illuminated the room with its bright glow, and I watched as his face turned from open and friendly to questioning and suspicious. A deep crease formed between his brow and his eyes narrowed in confusion, his lips parted in slight awe.

“Ally. Ally Carrows?” The cop looked up from his screen again, somewhat flabbergasted.

“Yes,” I squeaked as I reached out to squeeze Jack’s hand.

“Well then…it looks like you two have some explaining to do…”

*

My wrists were chaffing, rubbing me the wrong way at each and every bump of the car.

Are we there yet?

I gritted my teeth at the way everyone in the car was set to ignore me. It was me and four armed men. They’d even taken the care to put Jack into a separate car. Assholes. This was one of the few times where I think I’d actually enjoy a bit of Jack’s conceited, raunchy sense of humor. It’d be better than the cold indifference being thrown my way.

The dead scenery passed by my eyes, making my stomach curl up uncomfortably with the memories of my trip to Black Mountain.

This time though, the air surrounding me was even more suffocating. It burned with the threat of everything that was awaiting me back on the campus.

How were they going to punish me?

I knew at this point, it wasn’t a matter of if, but of how.