Chapter 33- 'Welcome to the family!'

Reagan POV

“Ma’am, assaulting a police officer is a minimum of 5 years in prison.”

“I’ll take my chances.”

Officer Harris rolled his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest. I had been threatening him nonstop since we got here, but other than bored, the burly black man had seemed otherwise unaffected and extremely unamused. He could probably throw me across the room with one hand, but I ignored that for the time being.

“We’re doing our best”, he said, “You sitting up here trying your best to harass me will do nothing but prolong the search.”

“I just want to know that you guys are actively searching. How do I know that you’re not going to walk away and stuff your mouth with donuts whenever we get done talking?”

“Babe…”

Josh pulled on my arm, bringing me towards him, and I heard Niall stifle a laugh. I probably wasn’t the best person in these type of situations because I tended to insult rather than encourage. But, hey; whatever got the job done.

“I’m a diabetic, Mrs. Tomlinson, so no donuts for me. Thanks for being concerned though.”

I heard everyone behind me stifle a chuckle and Niall say “Bet she feels like an arse now.” He was right; I did. Officer Harris had been nothing but cordial to us, and here I was making him feel badly.

“I’m...sorry”, I said, “I shouldn’t have-.”

“No worries. But, I’m telling you the truth. We are doing all that we can to find your husband. You should be happy though. Since he didn’t get caught in the fire, there’s a much higher chance of him being alive.”

But, he had been missing for a week, and that didn’t make his chances seem very high to me. But, I wasn’t going to be the one to bring that up even though I knew that was on everyone’s minds.

Everyone had come to the police station. Even though it was going on midnight, everyone except Imani had come. She had volunteered to stay with the children mostly because she didn’t know Louis all that well, and Niall said that part of the reason was she didn’t like to leave the house on account of her lost leg. Well, Liz was in a wheelchair too, so hopefully they could bond or something.

Trinity was leaned back on Harry’s chest as his hands rested on her stomach. Niall was sitting next to Zayn trying to keep him awake. Kadin and Liam were purposely ignoring each other as Liam paid more attention to his phone than anyone or anything else. I would ask about that later. And, Josh was sitting behind me, hands resting on my waist.

As soon as he had told me what happened, I wasted no time in grilling him with questions that he didn’t know the answer to. So, he went back to his hotel to change and drove me to the police station where they apparently knew nothing also. Everyone was useless.

Josh rubbed circles on my waist, trying to calm me down. It was working to an extent, but I didn’t really want to be calm right now.

“I promise you that we’ll find him”, Officer Harris continued, “He has a probation meeting coming up, so we hope to find him by then.”

I felt the circles stop, and Josh stood up. Knowing what he was getting ready to ask, the boys remained silent but kept huge smiles on their faces.

“Wait, why is Louis on probation?” Josh asked.

“Because he’s been in prison”, Officer Harris answered in a ‘duh’ tone.

“I know that, dick. Why has he been in prison is my question?”