Chapter 29- 'I was asked to take care of you'

Reagan POV

“Places, people!”

Sam was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I had never understood that expression before today, but now I completely got it. He would not stop moving. I never got used to seeing him like this.

Today was Maria and Nathan’s wedding, and we were exhausted. I hadn’t been in the mood to come here at all, but after multiple calls from Sam and a threat to sue me for back pay, I changed my mind. He didn’t play around when it came to doing his job right, and today had been no different.

“Reagan! The bride’s mum is in the changing room crying. See if you can go and calm her down.”

I heard Sam’s voice through my headset and reluctantly trudged forward to go find the mum of the bride. It has been 2 weeks and 3 days since I’ve seen my children. Either one of them. Liz was still in the hospital as far as I knew from Zayn’s updates. I had contacted the police and CPS numerous times to try to get them to rethink their decision about taking away my custody. But, no one was ringing me back. I didn’t understand how a decision as severe as this could be made without me being consulted. It just didn’t seem fair.

“8 minutes till show time, people!”

Zayn had been as comforting as he could, even with my bad attitude, but he knew there wasn’t much he could do. He was free to go see my children whenever he wanted, so he couldn’t empathize.

“Reagan, get the groom to the altar!”

Louis and I hadn’t spoken much. Every time I got up the nerve to call him, I almost burst into tears because I knew that LJ was somewhere in the background. Lou came over every now and then, but it was pretty awkward. I couldn’t look at him without knowing that my children currently only had one parent.

“Nathan, babe, follow me”, I said as I guided the shaking groom to his place at the altar.

“Should I be doing this, Reagan?”

Taking out my lint roller, I pulled off all the crap that was on his tuxedo as I tried to get him to stop trembling. He had been one groom that I knew loved his fiancé, so I was really surprised to see that he was nervous.

“Be doing what, Nathan?”

“Getting married. What if Maria and I don’t make it? You know some people grow apart when they get married. I don’t want that to happen to us.”

“If you don’t, then don’t grow apart from her.”

“It’s not that simple.”

“Yes, it is”, I said, “Not every couple makes it once they get married, but there isn’t a certain criteria that you have to fit to be the 1%. If you love your wife and are willing to make it through anything, there shouldn’t be a problem. If you’re going to let your fear cripple you, then that should tell you everything that you need to know.”

“What about you?” he asked when I was done straightening up what he was wearing, “Are you and Louis a couple that made it? Did you let fear cripple you?”

I froze when I heard Louis’s name. He was the last thing I wanted to be thinking about right now, especially when it came to describing our relationship.

“Louis and I were together for 4 years before we ever got married. So, no. We knew we were making the right decision.”

“And, are you happy, Reagan? Do you and Louis make it through anything?”

Dropping his gaze, I glanced down at my wedding ring that seemed heavy on my finger right now. It would be obvious not to answer Nathan, but it would also be rude to lie to him.