Chapter 15: It's All Very Complicated

"Hunter."

I groan.

"Hunter, it's time to get ready for the tournament."

I pull my displaced covers back over my head, just to have them ripped off of me completely.

"Please don't tell me you're hungover."

"I-I don't think so," I moan. Edge sighs.

"Get up. We're going to support Penny and Nate," he says, then walks out and shuts the door. I force myself to sit up and swing my legs over the bed, shoving myself into a standing position before walking into the bathroom. But Edge has already beat me there.

I stop in my tracks, debating on whether or not to go inside, not realizing that I'm staring at Edge in the mirror. The reflection of his blue eyes meets the reflection of my brown ones, and I quickly look down and scurry back into my room.

Through a slit in my blinds, I observe the cloudy sky and the trees blowing in the wind, so I pull on jeans and a sweatshirt, as usual. I go downstairs, grab a waffle, and wait for Edge. Once he comes down, we leave for the bus stop. For a second, I forget that we're not going to school.

We stand at the bus stop in silence.

We board in silence.

We sit in silence.

I want to ask him where exactly we're going. But that would just make matters five billion times worse. It could be a repeat of last night.

The bus stops, and Oliver gets on. He searches, sees me in the back, and quickly looks away. He and his Companion sit near the front. My stomach drops.

"The Arena is an hour and a half away. But you already know that," Edge mutters into my ear. I look at him, confused.

"I know you don't remember."

"How?"

"Never mind." Edge looks out the window. I sigh. An hour and a half of this.

Perfect.

I watch out the windows as we pass apartments, and then houses. The road becomes congested with cars as the adults and their young children head off to the Arena. I peer into their cars, and smile seeing children look up at the bus in awe, knowing that's where the older kids are.

Edge catches me looking out the window. We make awkward eye contact before I quickly look away, and he goes back to looking out the window. I prop my elbow on the narrow armrest, and rest my head in the palm of my hand. The last thing I remember is gently shutting my eyes.

+++++

"We're here." At Edge's words, I allow my eyes to slowly open.

"Shit!" I yank myself off of Edge's chest. "How long have I been like that?"

"About half an hour."

"Why didn't you shove me off or something?" I demand. I know I'm bright red. People in the front are unloading, but a couple of people are watching. I meet one girl's eyes, and she quickly looks away and tries to rush off the bus. But all Edge does is shrug.

"Seriously? That's it?" Dammit, Edge.

"You looked comfortable. Plus, I knew you'd be all embarrassed when you woke up." There we go. I roll my eyes, and turn to get off the bus.

"Are you still mad at me?" Edge calls as we shuffle down the bus aisle towards the door.

"Yes, Edge. I'm still mad at you," I reply, gritting my teeth, not even bothering to turn around.