Chapter 21: Guests of (Dis)honor

Edge and I follow people through the front door and are immediately engulfed by the party. It's a party especially for us and yet no one even looks our direction. And if they do, their eyes quickly dart away, as if they're afraid or ashamed.

"Do you want a drink?" Edge yells into my ear so I can hear him over the blasting music. I'm almost appalled at his offer. I'm used to him being more of an overprotective older brother than being more of a friend.

"Seriously?"

"Well, last time you officially proved to me that you are definitely capable of holding your liquor," he says. I smile and roll my eyes. Last time was a mistake.

"Sure!" I shout back to Edge, "But just a couple."

Still not letting go of my hand, Edge pulls me into the room with the drinks. I almost cringe as I remember my behavior the last time I was here.

Edge pops the cap off a bottle of beer using the side of the table and hands it to me. As he gets himself a bottle, I catch the eye of Warren across the room, and force myself to maintain it instead of looking in the opposite direction like I want to. He just glares. But when I glare back, he just smirks, excuses himself from his group, and approaches me. I wonder if he's made it his own personal mission to ensure that the two of us have an awkward run-in during every party. But Edge reacts before Warren can even get a word out.

"Again, Warren? Really? I think Hunter made it more than clear the last time we saw you that she didn't want anything to do with you." Edge had dropped my hand to get our drinks, and now puts his hand on my waist, pulling me closer to him. Uncomfortable, I stand up straighter, which was probably Edge's intent.

"Look, man," Warren says, putting his hands up, one of them holding the same kind of bottle I have in my hand, "I was just coming over to have a nice, civilized conversation. No need to be rude."

"Yeah, I'm sure you came over here to have a nice, civilized, conversation, just like always."

"Why don't you let Hunter speak for herself?" I want to slap that smile right off of Warren's stupid face. "She's her own person. I know she can use her words."

I take a sip of my beer to buy myself a bit of time to come up with something witty and impactful to say. But I end up just blurting out the first thing that comes to mind.

"Fuck off, Warren."

Warren tilts his head back and laughs so loudly that people turn to watch what's happening. I tense up as a feeling that I haven't felt since early in the school year washes over me. My stomach sinks a little. I should have thought of something more profound. But he probably would have reacted the same way, I guess. Edge's grip on my waist tightens.

"You're on top right now, Hunter. But trust me. There will come a time when you wish you'd sucked up to me right now."

"Go to hell," Edge hisses. Warren just laughs again.

"We both know that you'll be there soon enough, Edge," Warren says. Shivers shoot through my body. Edge pulls me even tighter to him, trying to contain his rage. Trying to keep from lashing out again. And Warren just stands there, waiting for it. So does everyone else. But I feel Edge take a breath. He drinks a bit of beer, then relaxes. Realizing that they're not getting the entertainment they were hoping for, everyone resumes their conversations.

"Best of luck tomorrow," Warren wishes, then walks away.

"Why do we even come to these things?" I ask Edge.

"Free drinks," he responds. Edge hits my bottle with his and we both drink.

"OH MY GOODNESS YOU GUYS ARE YOU SERIOUS?"