Chapter 20: Damn Good

"Hunter." Edge shoves at my shoulder. I open my eyes and they slowly adjust to the sensation of being awake. Edge is freshly showered and ready for the day.

"Looks like we were both actually able to fall back to sleep eventually," he says.

"How long have I been out?"

"Long enough to let me get ready in peace. Considerate of you."

"Well, you know. I try."

"Anyway, we have a big party to make an appearance at tonight."

"Shit. We do." I had completely forgotten.

"And, since we won't need credits for a while is we...um...win, and even if we lose, we get credits refilled on Monday, it is customary for the Competitors-- well, usually the girls since the guy don't really need to-- anyway, it's customary for the Competitors to blow their remaining credits on something they will most likely only ever wear once. So would you be interested in that custom by any chance?"

Not particularly. And I'm guessing Edge probably feels the same way. Still, I'm guessing that it has occurred to both of us that this could also help to take our minds off of everything.

"Sure!"

So, I hop off of Edge's bed, and get ready to go shopping for something other than groceries, which should be pretty refreshing.

"Hey, Hunter?"

"Edge?"

"Remember. The hotter you look, the more you can get away with." Edge smirks and winks before disappearing down the stairs. I can't help but laugh. I've missed this side of him.

"Good to know."

+++++

"Um, how about this one?" Edge asks. I turn around to inspect what he's holding. Yet again, it's extremely form-fitting and the size he's chosen is much too small. Yet again, I shake my head, laughing.

"Geez! What do you want, girl?" Edge cries, exasperated. You just have to laugh. He's right though. I haven't found anything that's either to my liking, or that fits me well.

"This?" Edge asks again. I look, ready to shake my head. But I pause. Yes, it is form-fitting, just like all of the other dresses he's chosen. Not like the ones I have in my hand or the ones I've already tried on which are mostly all fitted, flaring out at the skirt. No, it seems that Edge is partial to the dresses that promise to be tight and unforgiving. But I do like this style. It's white with three-quarter length sleeves. Around the neckline and hemline are shiny, gold accents that look like evenly-spaced bars of gold lying on the white background.

I take it from Edge's hands and add it to my collection.

"Seriously?"

"Seriously. Good work."

I lead him to the dressing rooms, and he sits outside as per usual. I start with one of my favorite picks. It has a black bodice that criss-crosses in the back, intersecting with a bow, and has a white flared skirt. I walk out to inspect myself in the mirror. Behind me, I see Edge looking at the dress. I must say, he's become a very well-educated critic in the matter of party dresses this afternoon.

"It looks kinda like the one you wore to Penny and Nate's party. Only the bottom part is white this time."

"So that's a no?"

"That's a no from me. Try mine on!"

I roll my eyes, but go back into the room and pull out Edge's choice. I pull it on and walk out, hoping for the best.