Chapter 1

There once was a girl who was friends with the night.

While some children fear the dark and the monsters that hide amongst the shadows, she was quite happy to sit in those shadows, taking in the quiet mystery of dark.

Other children also had the very normal habit of sleeping at night. Somehow, she had never acquired a taste for that. Night time was her time, when all was silent and peaceful and oh so alive.

She liked to sit in her bed, her quilt draped over her shoulders and her knees pulled up in front of her. In the summer she would leave her window open for the breeze, but no matter what time of year, the shade was up.

She loved the soft nightly noises - eerie and yet inviting. She loved the excitement of a world so quiet. She loved the sparkling stars and the stories held in their constellations. But most of all she loved the moon. Bright, friendly, watchful. The winking crescent or the bold, round, full moon - she loved it all. In these midnight vigils, the moon was her closest friend, her co-conspirator, her chief confidant.

Of course, there was always that one night that there was no moon to be seen at all. New moon. She didn't love this, but she understood. Everyone needs a day to rest, even the moon. It would be back. It always came back.

And so she would wait. And then she would celebrate its return, and she would tell it of the adventures she had had while it was away, and imagine what adventure it had found for itself.

But one evening, the night after new moon, it did not appear.

"It must just be very small tonight," said the girl, and stored up her story for the following night, when she would most certainly see it again. She had found a fairy garden, or so she believed, and was eager to tell the moon of it. But it could wait one more night.

But the next night showed no sign of her friend either.

"Perhaps a cloud is covering it," she thought.

She did not see any clouds, but then again, clouds are hard to see when it is so dark.

"Clouds again?" she wondered on the next night, when once more there was nothing to be seen of the moon. But she doubted.

"Are you hiding, my friend?" she said on the fourth night, more than a little concerned.

"Really, this has gone on for too long," she insisted on the fifth.

"You're making me quite worried, dear moon. Can you have forgotten to come back?" she asked, six nights since full moon.

On the seventh night she no longer wondered. She knew that something was amiss. The moon would never stay away this long. It was far too responsible for that. Something bad had happened, and what sort of friend would she be if she did nothing whatsoever about it. She would just have to go find the moon herself, and bring it back. Perhaps it had gotten lost? Whatever the case, it wouldn't be alone any longer. She was coming.

 ~~~~~~~~~~        

She packed a few things in her bag - mostly food, because she kept her adventure bag ready for most occasions. It is wise to always be ready for adventure, and she indeed was. She had a flashlight, a handkerchief, a compass (though she wasn't entirely sure how to use it. She preferred the North Star), a warm jacket, matches, and a map. With the food and a pair of sneakers, she was almost ready to go. The only thing left was to grab Pepper, the stuffed cat, place him gently atop the rest of her supplies, and shut the bag - leaving it partly unzipped so Pepper could see and get some fresh air, of course.

Then she slid open the window and climbed out. She was ready. The night was her friend and her moon needed her. So she was coming.

~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello there, friend!  (^.^) Thank you for reading this little story of mine! 'Tis muchly appreciated, I assure you. 

If you liked it, leaving a vote would be awesome! And... whether or not you liked it I would love your feed back in the comments!!!        

(⌐■_■)

(do it.)

(please and thank you.) 

>>> Chapter 2 will be up next Tuesday!<<<