Make Believe

Wincing, Naruto rolled over on his back, opening his eyes.  He looked up, noticing Kakashi had fallen asleep, head drooped over.  He didn't have his mask on, and his breathing was slow and even.  Naruto was still exhausted, his head hurting lightly, even though he had been taking the medicine as prescribed.  But he forgot about all of that looking up at Kakashi.  He might be being a girl, but he didn't care.  Kakashi was so beautiful.  Reaching up, Naruto couldn't help himself.  He ran his fingers down Kakashi's cheek.  Kakashi stirred slightly, eyes fluttering open.  Naruto quickly shut his eyes, dropping his hand as if he moved it in sleep.  

Kakashi scrunched his eyes, looking around.  Noticing Naruto asleep, he smiled.  Smoothing Naruto's hair off the youth's forehead, Kakashi stared down at the blonde, the light glinting off his wedding ring.  Sighing, his happy mood ruined, Kakashi got gently up, laying Naruto back down.  Going into the kitchen, he made a cup of tea.  Sipping it, he stared out the window, lost in thought.  He had no doubt...he loved Naruto.  He wanted to argue the stupidity of it, for he didn't know that much about the boy, and hadn't known him that long.  But, he knew the stories.  People who could meet and know in a day, or a week, that they were destined for each other, even though they couldn't spend more than fifteen minutes telling what they knew of each other.  People who, twenty five years later, were still happily married.  Smiling, he thought of Naruto.

Suddenly, unbidden thoughts of another young boy invaded.  A boy who made Kakashi promise a deathbed promise on his honor as a shinobi.  Sighing, Kakshi sat down with his tea, childhood memories floating up as Naruto padded in, rubbing his eyes.  

"Hey, Kakashi-sensei?"  Kakashi looked up, saying nothing, waiting for Naruto to speak.  "I.."  Naruto lost his nerve.  He couldn't do it.  Sighing shakily, he smiled.  "I'm gonna go take a shower."  Kakashi nodded as Naruto left.  About twenty minutes later, the doorbell rang.  Going to answer it, Kakashi saw Sasuke.  Ushering him in, he showed Sasuke to the living room.

"Naruto went to take a shower.  Could I get you something to drink?"  Kakashi asked politely.  Sasuke shook his head no, sitting on the couch.  About then, Naruto came out, freshly showered, in sweatpants.

"Hey, Sasuke!  What, no Oreo?" he grinned.  Sasuke rolled his eyes, but gave a brief hug to Naruto.

"No, dobe.  I wanted to come over and check on you."  Sasuke frowned, checking Naruto over as Kakashi quietly excused himself to the guestroom.  "You were lucky."  Sasuke scolded.

"Yea, I know."  Naruto admitted.  He hadn't wanted to think about how close he came.  He was 17 for Kame's sake, he should be invincible.  "Wanna play some video games or something?"

"Sure, but I get to be Liu Kang."  Sasuke said.  And that was that.

********
Kakashi stayed in the room, leaving the boys to their fun.  He wanted to admonish Naruto on screen time, but reminded himself that Naruto hadn't really had any, so he wasn't going to step in and ruin that.  Naruto had to listen to his body on his own. Hearing the boys laugh, Kakashi smiled.  It was good to hear Naruto laugh.  Laying down, he called and talked to Rin and Rinni.  He updated them on Naruto's progress, and got an update on Rin's mom.  She was doing better, but still not at one hundred percent.  He talked to Rinni.  He missed her so much.  Turning off the phone, he heard Naruto and Sasuke still playing video games, so he turned and went to sleep.

*********

Thursday morning, Naruto woke up.  His headache was almost gone, and his body was still sore, but it was fading as well.  Smiling as he got up, he went into the kitchen.  Kakashi was already in there, making breakfast.  "Don't you sleep?"  Naruto asked, yawning.  Looking over his shoulder, Kakashi smiled.