Chapter 15

Chapter 15

*Hannah’s POV*
At 4AM, I woke up once again laying on top of my best friend. I shouldn’t have agreed to sleep in his bed with him... All it was doing was making it more difficult to sleep alone. His arms were latched tightly around me. This would be the last time we did this... I began to tear up as I thought about him leaving.
The soft light of a streetlamp reflecting on the snow outside the basement window fell on us. Scooting up so that my face was level with his, I memorized every inch of his beautiful face. I hated the way my heart was melting... why did he do this to me? He wasn’t even conscious, and he was still making me go mush inside.
My nose was nearly touching his. I could feel his heart beating, its rhythm matching my own. I bit my lip and slowly intertwined my legs with his. He unconsciously pulled me tighter, making our faces almost collide. Sighing, I laid my head down on the crook of his neck, falling back into slumber.

*Taylor’s POV*
I plummeted out of a nightmare in the early hours of the morning. It had been about Hannah. I shuddered as images of her lying dead on the pavement hit me. It had felt so real... It hadn’t been, right? I panicked. Regaining full consciousness, I realized that my best friend was actually perfectly safe and that her body was completely on top of mine. Annnnd that my hand was on her butt. Oops... I should probably move it, I thought. Instead I groped her. You’re so going to hell, you stupid adolescent male! my mind yelled. You just felt her up! Dumbass!
I ignored the conflicting thoughts running through my brain and ran my hands under her sweatshirt, kissing her neck. I felt warmth spreading through my body. Shit, slow down, man, I thought. I traced her backbone and gently nibbled her earlobe. Exhaling, she tightened her arms around my neck. I smiled. I wanted to keep her. Sighing, I rested my hand on the small of her back. Well, technically it was partly on her butt... my thumb was tucked under the folded down waistband of her leggings, and my fingertips were resting lightly on her bum.
She stirred slightly.
“Hans?” I murmured in her ear.
“Mmmm,” she responded, still mostly asleep.
“I love you.”
“I luff yous, toooo,” she said softly.
“Marry me,” I whispered, kissing her neck.
“Okay,” she nodded.
“Let’s elope.”
“...I’m only seventeen.”
“Let’s elope in a month.”
“Okay.”
“And go to Greece for our honeymoon.”
She raised her head up, fully awake now. “How... how did you know I’ve always wanted to go to Greece for my honeymoon?”
“I didn’t... I’ve always wanted to go there for my honeymoon...”
She smiled. “Great minds. Why is your hand on my butt?”
“...Because I like your butt.”
“That’s weird,” she said sarcastically.
I put my hand on her butt cheek and squeezed. “You have a great ass!”
She burst into laughter. “You are such a boy.”
“No duh,” I winked
“Perv.”
“You love it.”
She shook her head and rolled off of me. “It’s nearly 6AM...” she said, looking at her phone.
“Two hours before I leave.”
“Don’t remind me,” she replied, pulling her knees to her chest.

She helped me pack, and we ran upstairs to eat breakfast. None of Michelle’s children understood why I had to leave.
“But, Sir Tay,” Matthew, the four year old, complained, “you just got here!”
“You said you would build a snowman with me!” wailed Ruth, the six year old.
“And take me to the library!” Grace, the precocious eight year old, pouted.
Rose, the two year old, stomped her foot. “You should stay,” she glowered.
I sat down on the floor in front of them. “I have to go see my family though... What if I came back to visit soon?”
Ruth came and sat in my lap. “Would it be when there was still snow on the ground? Would you help me build a snowman then?”
I hugged her and smiled. I had bonded with this little girl. She was so undemanding and kind, just like her beautiful aunt. “Of course! And then maybe I’ll come back in the summer and take you to the park.”
“Yes! Please come back then too!” Ruth grinned, throwing her arms around my neck.
“...AHHHH!” Matthew yelled as he ran to tackle me. Laughing, I fell backwards and my eyes caught Hannah’s. She was looking at me almost tenderly, but as soon as our gazes locked, her expression went blank, though her cheeks flushed brightly. Hmm food for thought, I said to myself.

*Hannah’s POV*
He was killing me with how good he was with kids. I blushed when our gazes met. I knew my heart had been exposed in the look I was giving him. Sighing, I got up and went to go grab his luggage from the basement. I heard him bounding down the stairs a couple of minutes later.
“Hey let me get that!” he said, coming over to me.
“I can get it,” I replied with a half smile.
He kissed my cheek. “Get the smaller one, baby.”
I shrugged, picking up the other bag.
“Hans?”
“Yes?” I looked over at him.
“You promise me you’ll eat while I’m not here to make you?”
“That was random,” I laughed, evading the question.
“Just promise me,” he pleaded.
“Fine,” I said begrudgingly.
“Thank you,” he said, relieved.

I drove him to the train station half an hour later. We sat on a bench on the platform waiting for his train.
“You’ll call me every day right?” he asked anxiously.
“Of course. And we’ll video chat?”
“Every night!”
“Good.”
“Yeah...” he looked at his hands.
I reached over and laced my fingers with his. He smiled and brought my hand to his lips and kissed it. Okay cue melting. Honestly how could I have kept myself from falling in love with him? He was the most perfect guy I had ever known.
We heard the train coming down the tracks and looked at each other.
“Well, this is it,” he said, getting up.
I stood beside him. “Yep.”
“I love you, babes.”
“I love you too, honey.”
“Don’t forget me!” he joked, but I could see the worry behind the light tone.
“It would be inconceivable,” I quipped, hugging him tightly.

And then all too soon, he had left. I drove back to Michelle’s house and ran down to the basement to his bed. It was still unmade from when we got up that morning. Unable to hold the tears back, I laid down in his bed and let myself get lost in his scent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Poor Hannah and Taylor :(( No worries though, I have big plans for them ;)