Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Fall break passed and I realized I had done nothing but chat with Tay and get on Tumblr. On Sunday night, I tried to make a dent into the pile of English Comp and College Algebra homework I was supposed to get done over the week. 

While I was writing an essay, Tay sent me a message.

toolatetogoback: hey hon
bluebird: hi babe sorry I can’t really talk, I’m having to write an essay :/
toolatetogoback: awww :( I’m sorry.. I probably distracted you all week, didn’t I?
bluebird: hahaha lil bit... but it’s fine, I don’t regret it :)
toolatetogoback: well I’m still sorry :) hey.... when you get done, could I call you?

My eyes widened. He wanted to call me? Heart racing, I tried to imagine what his voice would sound like. 

bluebird: “Well sure! I would love for you to. I’ll tell you when I’m done, and you can call me here on Skype!”
toolatetogoback: “Sounds good :)”

I wrote my essay faster than I thought possible then sent it to Rachel to see if she could catch any possible grammar errors, though I usually didn’t make any mistakes. Better safe than sorry.

bluebird: “DONE! finally!”
toolatetogoback: “:) good. Imma call you now, okay?”
bluebird: “Okay :)”

I bit my lip in nervousness and took a deep breath as the incoming call box popped up on my computer screen. I hesitantly clicked ‘accept’.
“Hello?”

*Tay’s POV*
I just needed to hear her voice. This girl had me captivated beyond belief. I knew as soon as I found her Tumblr she could probably be one of my best friends, especially since I didn’t know her and could freely talk to her about everything I could talk to anyone else about; but I never really thought I could care about her like this. 

bluebird: “DONE! finally!”

My heart skipped like it always did when I saw that she had answered me back. Shit, I’m turning into such a pansy.

toolatetogoback: “:) good. Imma call you now, okay?”
bluebird: “Okay :)”

I clicked ‘call’ and waited what seemed like ages for her to accept it.

“Hello?”

Oh god. Her voice. It sounded like honey. The silkiest, sweetest tone I had ever heard.

“Hey, Hannah!” I said, mentally cursing the huskiness of my voice.
“Tay! Your voice sounds exactly like I thought it would,” she said, and I could hear the smile in her voice.
“I can say the same for you, sweetheart. Your voice is just as sweet and beautiful as your soul is.” My eyes widened. Where the hell did that last part come from. DAMN IT what the f*ck is wrong with me?? Smooth, Tay. Really smooth. You sound like a effing girl.
“.....Awwwwwww!” she laughed, giving him chills at the bell-like sound, “You’re charming. I like your voice. It sounds familiar...which is really strange!”
“Oh really?” I said sheepishly, “It does?”
“Mhmm! I like it. A lot.”
I smiled. I could just see her blushing from the way that she said that. “Well good,” I replied. It was amazing how she put me so at ease within a few minutes. “I miss you,” I said impulsively.
“You... miss me? How? We’ve talked every day this week!” she laughed lightly.
“Well, I know... But I miss you. I want to see you. Meet you.”
I heard her gasp, “Meet me??” she asked, her voice getting slightly higher, “How?”
“I’m not sure. But didn’t you say you’re going to your sister’s house in Minneapolis in February?”
“Ye-e-s... Why?”
“Because I’m going to Wisconsin visiting family at the same time you’re going to be in Minnesota! Babe, that’s too close for us not to meet in person... please?”
“Oh. My. Word... Could we? For real?” She sounded so hopeful.
“I think we could! If... you want to...”
“YES! Oh my god, yes!!”
I grinned at her eagerness. “Great! I’ll plan to fly into Minneapolis instead of Milwaukee and then just take a train over to Wisconsin after spending a couple of days with you and your family, if that’s alright!”
“That sounds perfect! Not sure how I’m gonna tell my fam that I have a best friend on the internet that I’m gonna meet in person though...”
I burst out laughing, “Yeah.... I’m not sure how I’m gonna tell my family that either. Should be interesting. Oh well! We will figure it out!”
“We will have to! I have to warn you though... I don’t know how you picture me, but I’m not that attractive... I’m losing weight, but I’m kind of chubby...”
I rolled my eyes. Why was it all girls said they were chubby? I mean, I guess she really could be, but even so, I certainly wouldn’t care. She was my best friend. No matter what she looked like, nothing would change our friendship. “Baby, you’re hardly someone I could trust on the subject of yourself. You also said you were selfish and stupid, when you’re the smartest and most selfLESS person I know!” I teased affectionately.
She laughed, “Fine. Whatever. Don’t say I didn’t warn you though!”
"I don’t believe it,” I laughed, then hesitated, unsure of how to proceed with what I needed to say to her, “...but hey... I gotta warn you too... I’m probably not anything like you expect... But regardless of what I look like, I’m still the same person I was before you met me... And I know you won’t let what I look like affect our friendship." Or who I am affect it, I thought. But still I wasn’t quite convinced. What if she freaked out? I wasn’t exactly normal.
"Hey we are best friends forever, silly,” she said softly. “Pinky promise."
I smiled and said, “Good. I lo—” I was cut off by my little sister yelling up the stairs.
“Tayyyyy!! Its time to go!!" I heard her say. I sighed. Right when I was about to tell her that I loved her. Oh well. It was probably for the best... that little phrase probably needed to wait a bit.
"Dammit, I have to go, babe... That was my little sister... We're taking her to the zoo today for her 'un' birthday or something or other... Not really sure about it all. I mean her birthday is in May."
"It's a girl thing, I guess,” Hannah laughed. “Hey get me a tiger, will ya? And tell your sister merry unbirthday for me!"
"Oh I’lll see what I can do," I laughed. "Bye, honey!"
"Bye, love! Have fun at the zoo!"
“I will! Bye!” I clicked the end button, exhaling slowly and trying to calm my racing heart. Oh what she did to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm having so much fun writing this! :) Thanks to everyone who is reading this story!