Chapter 9

Here's the next chapter! The song used in it is My Last Breath by the amazing Evanescence (obviously they own it, not me!!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 9

*Hannah's POV*

I looked at his face, memorizing every detail within seconds. He was even more perfect in person. His face was scruffy with days of not shaving and his hair was messy and tousled. I really wanted to reach up and run my fingers through it, but I didn’t dare.
"T-Tay..." I stuttered, looking into his gorgeous brown eyes, "why didn’t you TELL me..."
"I didn’t want it to change anything, honey...” he said, rubbing my back. I realized he was still holding me in his arms and that my hands had somehow landed on his pecs. I blushed furiously. “We opened up to each other so easily,” he continued a little sadly, “I had a feeling that you would close up again if I told you who I was.. And I need you too much... I couldn’t lose you. You’re the best friend I’ve had—outside of like Kristen or Rob or somebody—in a long time. I can’t trust people that I meet. I mean, I’d like to, but I just can’t," He was tracing circles on my back gently, looking down at my hands which were still resting on his chest.
I rubbed my thumb on his pec and let out a shaky breath, "Y-yeah.. I wouldn’t have opened up... I understand! I’m glad we got to know each other so well before... Because I’m really shy around attractive guys... I- I mean," I stuttered again, cursing myself for being flustered. He’s just your best friend; calm down, idiot, I thought to myself. “I mean guys that I haven’t talked to before I talk to them in person,” I amended quickly.
"You... You mean you're still my best friend??" he said, quickly looking up into my eyes as if searching for something, his hand pulling me closer to him.
I smiled shyly and looked down, blushing under his intense gaze. "Of course, sillyhead,” I replied softly.
He grinned and picked me up, swinging me around making me let out a giggly squeal, "Oh my GOD, thank you so much, babydoll!"
I laughed and clung to him tightly as he gently set me down again. He grinned down at me, dazzling me with that gorgeous smile of his. I let out a truly genuine smile in return. He looked a bit stunned for a second which confused me, but the look was gone as quickly as it came. "Come on, let’s go!" he said brightly, kissing the top of my head.
I blushed, and he laced his fingers with mine and pulled me to the baggage claim.

*Tay’s POV* (same scene)
Her stunned face when she realized it was me really scared me. I’ve lost her, I thought, defeated.
"T-Tay...why didn’t you TELL me..." she asked, looking up into my eyes.
My heart skipped a beat and I began to slowly rub her back, "I didn’t want it to change anything, honey... We opened up to each other so easily... I had a feeling that you would close up again if I told you who I was.. And I need you too much... I couldn’t lose you. You’re the best friend I’ve had—outside of like Kristen or Rob or somebody—in a long time. I can’t trust people that I meet. I mean, I’d like to, but I just can’t.” I started tracing circles on her back gently, looking down at her hands. Oh god, they are on my chest, I thought. I saw her thumb caress my pec gently.
"Y-yeah.. I wouldn’t have opened up... I understand! I’m glad we got to know each other so well before... Because I’m really shy around attractive guys... I- I mean, I mean guys that I haven’t talked to before I talk to them in person,” she stuttered and blushed.
I looked up at her quickly, searching her eyes. “You... You mean you're still my best friend??" my hand involuntarily tightened on her back.
She gave me a small smile and blushed again, looking down shyly. “Of course, sillyhead,” she said softly, using one of the nicknames we had used over the past few months.
My heart felt like it did a summersault. I grinned ear to ear and picked her up, spinning around with her. Her body was crushed to mine and I couldn’t help but think how very nice it felt. She let out a silvery giggle and an adorable squeal. "Oh my GOD, thank you so much, babydoll!" I exclaimed, almost giddy with relief.
She laughed and clung to me tightly, sending chills down my spine. I gently set her down again. I grinned down at her happily, letting my smile light up my face in a way it hadnt in I didn't know how long. She looked a bit dazzled, which almost made me smirk in satisfaction. This was one girl I would actually WANT to impress. Then she did something that shook me completely. She smiled. I never thought I could be that stunned by a smile (I mean come on, I'm Taylor Lautner, it's my job to dazzle everyone else, not the other way around), but I was. God I swear it was the most amazing smile I had ever seen. I struggled to control the stunned admiration on my features, and succeeded.
"Come on, let’s go!" I said brightly, kissing the top of her head impulsively.
I laced my fingers with hers, almost instinctively. Before she or I could react to it, I pulled her to the baggage claim.

*Hannah’s POV*
“Which one is yours?” I asked, looking at the moving row of luggage.
He put his hand on the small of my back and pointed, “That one!”
I moved to get it, but he pulled me back and said, “No no, baby, it’s as big as you are! I’ve got it! You can get the littler one, right there.” he pointed to the smaller duffle bag.
“Okay!” I said and grabbed it, swinging the strap onto my shoulder. “Ready?”
He grabbed the larger bag. “Yep!” he said grinning at me.
I smiled back and led him to my car. It was strange... after the initial shock of finding out that he was Taylor Lautner, I was feeling more at ease with him than I had ever felt with anyone besides John or Rachel. He was my best friend, and that was it.

*Tay’s POV*
We loaded my luggage, and got into the car. She had been listening to a rock band, which surprised me a bit. I guess I just never really thought about girls liking more hardcore music. But then, she hardly struck me as the bubblegum pop type of girl.
She started singing along with the song, so softly I could barely hear her:

“I'll miss the winter
A world of fragile things
Look for me in the white forest
Hiding in a hollow tree (come find me)
I know you hear me
I can taste it in your tears

Closing your eyes to disappear,
You pray your dreams will leave you here;
But still you wake and know the truth,
No one is there...

Say goodnight,
Don't be afraid,
Calling me, Calling me as you fade to black.

(Say goodnight) Holding my last breath
(Don't be afraid) Safe inside myself
(Calling me, calling me) Are all my thoughts of you?
Sweet raptured life, it ends here tonight”

The way she was singing that song as if she meant it was actually scaring me. I turned down the music and looked at her. She looked at me questioningly.
“Hans...” I said cautiously, “Are you okay?”
She laughed and said, “Of course I am, what are you talking about?”
I looked hard at her. Bullshit, I thought to myself. That was a poker face if I ever saw one. But I didn’t press the issue; instead I simply said, “Oh, nothing. It’s just you looked a little sad there. Just making sure!”
“I’m fine!” she smiled, not meeting my gaze.

*Hannah’s POV*
That was far too close. Must work on hiding things, I thought as we drove up to my sister’s house.
“Here we are!” I said brightly.
He smiled at me, but his eyes looked worried. Great, I thought. Now he’s gonna want me to talk about things. We got his luggage out and walked to the house. Once we were inside, we were hit by a delicious smell.
“Good lord, what is that?” he asked, suddenly brightening.
“Supper!”
“I. Am. Starving.”
“You’re a boy, of course you are.”
“Hush.”
I grinned cheekily at him and led him to the kitchen where my sister was stirring a pot of something that looked extremely yummy.
“Hey, Michelle! This is my best friend Taylor. Taylor, this is my sister Michelle.”
Michelle turned her head to smile at him. I saw recognition cross her face, but she didn’t say a word about it.
“Hi, Taylor! I hope you will make yourself at home while you’re here!” she said in her sweet singsong voice.
He smiled back at her, “I’m sure I will. Thank you so much for letting me stay!”
“No problem!” she replied. “You and Hannah are staying in the basement bedrooms. We have two boarders with us now taking up the spare rooms upstairs.”
“That’s fine!” he said quickly. “I would sleep in the attic if I had to!”
I poked him in the ribs. “Suck up,” I whispered loudly.
He shoved me gently with his elbow. “Shut up,” he whispered back.
“Alright children, get out of my kitchen!” Michelle joked, whacking us both with a wooden spoon.

*Taylor’s POV*
I followed Hannah down the basement stairs, watching her closely. She was lugging the smaller duffle bag. She didn’t look as strong as she had when she lifted it earlier. She looked as if her energy was fading fast.
“Here, little girl, let me help,” I said softly, taking the bag from her.
She protested, saying she could handle it, but I shook my head at her. Giving in, she led me to the ‘rooms’. They weren’t walled like I had expected. They had bamboo curtains and fabric hanging up for privacy, but other than that, they didn’t look like they were like rooms at all.
“They haven’t finished down here,” Hannah explained. “Obviously, you can’t see through the fabric and bamboo, but you can hear everything. I hope you don’t snore.”
I burst out laughing, “No, I don’t think I do. I’ve never been told I do, anyway.”
“Good!” she said, in clear relief.
She showed me to my ‘room’ which was right next to hers. It was decorated in a Japanese with a bed directly on the ground. I liked it... easier to just roll off of. I put my bags down on the couch and went over to the bed to try it out.
“Comfy?” she asked as I laid down.
“Mhmm,” I replied. She looked uncertain of what to do, so I patted the bed beside me. “Lay down, babe. You look really tired.”
She hesitated, shyly biting her lip. “Okay,” she said, walking over to me.
She laid down, and I pulled her small frame to me gently. She tensed slightly at the contact, but as I rubbed circles on her ribs, she gradually relaxed into me and laid her head on my chest.
“Hey, beautiful,” I said softly, kissing her forehead.
Her eyes filled with tears, and she hid her face. “Hey,” she whispered.
I ran my fingers through her hair for a few minutes. “What’s wrong, sweetheart?” I finally asked, concerned.
“Nothing!” she said, pulling back, all traces of tearful eyes gone. She got up. “I’m gonna go see if I can help Michelle! I’ll call you when it’s ready!”
And she left the room, leaving me very confused. I guess she doesn’t like to talk about it, I thought. Well she’s just going to have to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:) Hope you enjoyed this chapter!