Epilogue

"Our moment."

•••

Months later

America

I sat down on my vanity and did my makeup. Ever since this morning my hands have been extremely shaky. I was nervous, I don't know why either. I mean today was the day I have been waiting for since freshman year. But ever since my life has literally changed for the better in the beginning of the year I suddenly didn't want to leave.

I remember ever since the rumors and hate started freshman year I counted down the days till this moment. Till the day I graduated and moved away from everyone. But now that I met the most important people to me, I didn't want it to end.

"Dad are you almost done?" I asked hoping he heard me since I practically yelled.

I finished my makeup and made sure my hair was nice and curled. Once I was content in how I looked I stood up from my vanity and that's when my dad walked into my room. He was trying to tie his tie but failed.

I laughed before walking towards him and doing it for him. He looked at me and smiled.

"You look beautiful America." He told me.

I looked up at him after I finished his tie and he had unshed tears in his eyes. That made a knot form in my throat and tears started to prick my eyes.

"Dad stop if you cry I'll start crying and I'll end up looking like a clown. Pretty sure pennywise isn't graduating." I tried to joke so I wouldn't cry.

He nodded and wiped his tears, "I know I haven't been the best dad. I wish I could have a do over so that I could've been the father you needed. But despite not being here for you all that much, I want you to know I am so incredibly proud of you. I am proud of the woman you have become."

But his words didn't make me feel any better. It just made me want to cry so much more. My dad wasn't perfect but this year he really tried his best to be.

"Dad you did the one thing mom couldn't, you stayed and you raised me. Yes I did a lot of it on my own but I don't think you realized how much it meant to me. To know you didn't see me as a mistake or a burden." I told him as a tear slipped down my face.

He gave me a smile and cupped my face as he wiped my tear away, "No matter what I went through when she left. Not for one single moment did I ever regret you. You're the best part of me America and don't you forget that."

I quickly hugged him tight, so many people had a lot of things to say about my dad. Most were true, he was an alcoholic. He wasn't really there for me but they didn't see things like this. They didn't see the real him after the drinking, they didn't see this because they had their own opinions.

But it didn't matter to me, because I knew him. I knew all the changes he did so he can be my dad again. From throwing away alcohol to hanging out with me. Or even going bowling with Shawn and I. He really tried his best to make up for the years he missed.

We then pulled apart and I walked over to my bed to put on my heels.

"Alright kiddo ready to go graduate?" He asked me.