chapter fifteen

At twenty-eight weeks pregnant, Rory prepared for her baby shower.

Usually, baby showers were held later in the pregnancy, around thirty-two weeks, but since Rory and Sadie also had a wedding to worry about, they decided to do this party a little bit earlier.

"Are you excited?" Sadie asked her, kissing her cheek as she passed by.

Rory laughed, "Yeah, are you?" She asked, raising her eyebrows with a smile. Sadie had asked her if she was excited three times that day.

"Today's not about me, it's about you," Sadie said, hanging balloons.

"It's about you, too, Sadie. It's your daughter, too,"

"I know that, Rory," She laughed, "but I'm not the one carrying her. This is your party," She told Rory, poking her shoulder.

"It's our party," Rory corrected, relentless, "That's why Noah's coming, too,"

Sadie laughed loudly, "I guess you're right. I'm just glad that I'm gonna get to meet her soon," Sadie said wistfully. She was counting down the days until Rory's due date, when she would finally get to meet her beautiful daughter.

Rory laughed at this, "Enjoy the silence while you can. Soon enough, none of us will be sleeping," She bumped her shoulder against her fiancée's, walking into the kitchen to make sure all the food was ready. There was a lot to be organized, but it was nothing compared to the upcoming wedding. Rory wondered how Noah had done it, since she knew for a fact that she had barely done anything.

"Hey, guys," Noah called out as he entered the apartment, "the place looks great," He told Sadie, looking around. She had gone a little overboard with the decorations, but she wanted it to be memorable. She didn't want the fact that they were getting married to prevent them from having the baby shower of their dreams.

Usually, you only had a baby shower for your first born, so this was their only opportunity. They had invited many people, an amount that would surely fill up the apartment. Sadie made sure that there was enough seating for everyone, she didn't want people to have to stand for too long.

She had games planned, too. They would be guessing the size of Rory's baby bump, with the help of a piece of yarn, playing guessing games about prices of baby supplies and taste testing baby food. Sadie had bought all the prizes and gotten all the materials necessary for it to be memorable.

The first people to arrive were their parents. They had decided to do a coed baby shower, since most of the most important people in their lives were male, plus, the only parent Rory had contact with was her father, who had recently gotten divorced from her mother after seeing the light.

Noah's parents, Kathryn and Aaron Cadwell, looked quite awkward as they took in the scene. Sadie couldn't blame them, they were standing in the shared apartment of the girl who had left their son at the altar - but was now carrying his child - and her new fiancée. When Robbie saw them, he immediately began chatting about anything other than the mess of a situation they had ended up in. Sadie liked Rory's father more with every passing minute.

With the wedding a mere two weeks away, Rory found it increasingly difficult not to get distracted and try to plan some more details out to the tee. Everything should be perfect, even though, Rory knew, it didn't have to be. The important thing was that she was joining lives with the woman who meant the most to her in the entire world, all the rest was just extra.

Still, it couldn't be a sin to want a perfect wedding where everything went right, and the night was magical. It wasn't materialistic, it was simply her dream.

When guests began to arrive, the party really started. Laughter filled the apartment, the atmosphere relaxed. With their guests mingling, Sadie followed Rory back into the kitchen. She wrapped her arms around her pregnant fiancée, pressing her crotch against Rory's butt.

"I think it's going well, so far," Sadie murmured into Rory's ear.

Rory laughed breezily, tilting her head backwards, "I think so, too,"

"They don't really need us out there, do they?"

Rory tuned to face Sadie, cocking her head, "We can't just leave, Sadie," She laughed.

"Well, you can't just stand there, looking so beautiful and expect me not to react," Sadie laughed, pressing her forehead against Rory's.

"Oh, come on," Rory swatted her fiancée's shoulder, "that's the best you've got? If you're trying to bed me, you're gonna need to take your flirting to the next level. Plus, we both know that wasn't even true. I worklook like a rhinoceros." She gestured to her pregnant belly.

Sadie laughed, but jokingly made an offended face, "Are you trying to tell me that my flirting isn't next level good?" She asked, then smirked, "By the way, if you look like a rhinoceros, I suddenly find rhinoceroses very sexy," She winked, then left the kitchen with a platter of cheese.

Rory wondered how she had gotten so lucky. While she struggled with her sexuality, Sadie was patient. While she refused to let herself be gay, Sadie was patient. Through all the drama, Sadie stood by. When Rory announce that she was pregnant, Sadie was nothing but excited. Rory had truly gotten the best person in the world.

She watched from the kitchen as her fiancée talked among their friends and family, exuding confidence, but radiating warmth. She made her way around the room, leaving a trail of smiles and happiness behind her. Rory watched as her fiancée talked for a while with Robbie Bradford. She watched the way they seemed comfortable around each other, as if they had always known each other.

She had lucked out. Sadie was the perfect woman for her, inside and out. She was a wonderful person; a person Rory was honored to be able to introduce as her wife. Rory simply wasn't sure if she was good enough for Sadie.

This day had meant so much to her. It was so important to Sadie that Rory enjoyed herself, surrounded by the people that loved and appreciated her, before welcoming a new addition into their homes.

Noah entered the kitchen, "She's doing great," He admired, sipping his drink, "everyone's really warming up to her,"

Rory nodded, "Yeah, it's going great,"

Noah turned towards her, leaning on the counter. Since they had very frequent visits, he felt very comfortable in their home, "I'm really happy for you, Rory. You seem happy," He told her sincerely.

She was touched, to say the least. She knew that Noah was a great person when she was marrying him, but, lately, he had proven to be so incredibly mature and kind towards Rory and the entire situation.

"Thank you, Noah," She responded, "you know that your opinion means a lot to me,"

Noah nodded. How could his opinion not mean a lot to her? The only person that knew Rory better than Noah was the Lord himself, but Rory doubted that he was coming back down to earth any time soon to give her advice. Noah was concerned for her best interest, nothing more, nothing less. Rory trusted his opinion. So, when he said that she was doing the right thing, she barely had a shadow of a doubt.

"You're doing the right thing," He confirmed as if he could read her mind.

So, as soon as he said those words, Rory couldn't even bring herself to feel doubtful anymore. She was doing the right thing.

+

don't forget to vote and comment!