Chapter 42. Race

Reid could have sobbed with relief at the sight of Morgan and Rossi descending from a Bureau SUV, but there wasn’t time. He thought he’d fanned some sort of flame to burn a little brighter in Hotch, but he couldn’t be sure of what he’d done, or what it meant, or how long the effects would last.

All he really knew was that Hotch’s time was short. He thought he could find his boss, but he had to go now. Reid still felt responsible for losing Ana’s little sister in California. He wasn’t about to let the same thing happen again.

Now was his whole world.

Now was all that mattered.

He turned, torn between wanting to run toward his teammates, and needing to go after Hotch. Morgan clued into Reid’s sense of urgency and sprinted to meet him.

“What’s up, kid? What’s going on?”

“Hotch. Hurt. No time. That’s Ana.” Then Reid was off and running.

REID!” Morgan shouted, breaking through the younger man’s fixation on his mission to find their boss. Reid hesitated. Morgan gestured at the SUV. “Driving’s faster, Pretty Boy! C’mon!”

Logic prevailed. Reid sped back toward the dusty, black vehicle.

Ana was closer and reached it first. She nodded at Rossi and was pulling herself up into the back seat when he grabbed her arm.

“Cliff Notes version, young lady?”

“Bescardi drugged Hotch. He’s been out there…” she gestured toward the wilderness surrounding them “…since yesterday morning. We know he’s hurt. Not much time left.”

She made an abortive, little jump to enter the SUV, but Rossi restrained her again.

“Where’s Bescardi?”

“Inside. Unconscious.” She grimaced. “Better that way.”

Rossi looked toward the silent monastery. For a moment he considered going in to check on the doctor. But only for a moment. Despite all his warnings and all the conditions placed on Reid’s cooperation, Carol had clearly overstepped her bounds. It was possible she needed medical aid. She might be mortally injured. But Hotch came first. Rossi made the decision to leave the doctor to whatever fate her actions had created for her, and stay with the team.

Besides, if they didn’t make it in time, if Hotch died, Rossi wanted a last chance to hold the man he quietly loved like a son in his arms. Even if he was already gone, Rossi had a feeling that Hotch’s spirit would know his ersatz father was cradling him. He remembered his words to Reid when the young agent had been punishing himself for not being able to save Sarah in California.

The chance to say ‘goodbye’ is no small thing.

Rossi wanted that chance.

At the same time, he dreaded it.

xxxxxxx

Reid was driving, words pouring forth in a torrent. He had a way of trying to speak as quickly as his brain worked. It was impossible. Physical features necessary for speech…lips, a tongue, vocal chords…could never equal the scintillating speed of Spencer Reid’s thoughts.

Normally, Morgan would silence his young partner with a sharp reprimand, bringing him back to the realization that he needed to slow down and organize himself; accept his physical limitations and the accommodations he’d have to make to communicate effectively. But this time, he let Reid’s words tumble and rush. Words didn’t matter. Morgan trusted they were headed toward Hotch, even if he didn’t understand  how Reid could  know the correct route to take. There were so many rugged paths leading away from the monastery, yet he’d shown no hesitation in choosing this one.