Chapter 5. Disclosure Strategy

Hotch had done his homework. After the bomb Carol Bescardi had dropped on them, Rossi had asked for specifics. The paranormal researcher had temporized, claiming so little was known about ESP-er abilities that everything she said was subject to debate. But when she listed the areas she believed were dominant for Reid, she had sounded very sure. And disturbingly excited.

Telepathy. Hotch had already figured that one out. In a nutshell, it was mind-reading.

Psychometry. This one intrigued the Unit Chief. If true, Reid could touch objects and divine information from them. When Hotch recalled the young doctor’s hand on his chest and the deluge of emotion he’d pulled from Hotch, he supposed the ‘object’ could be a human being, too.

Retrocognition. If Hotch understood correctly, this meant Reid was sort of the opposite of a fortuneteller. He couldn’t see the future, but he could see things past.

Any one area of expertise would have been extraordinary. But for one mind to encompass all three was unprecedented. And frightening. How do you live with something like that? Hotch felt sympathy for this man who regarded average people with heartbreaking wistfulness. He knew Reid harbored a longing for the simple joys of life others took for granted. It was very unlikely he’d ever achieve them.

Most telling of all was the test score of 0%. Bescardi assured them that the failure had been subconscious. Reid hadn’t intentionally tried to skew the results. But on the deepest level of his psyche, he didn’t want this ‘gift.’ He was pushing it away with both hands. Any average Joe off the street was expected to get a few answers right. The law of odds commanded it. In order to get every answer wrong, Reid had known the correct one every time. It was the only way to consistently avoid giving it. Bescardi also noted that there had been no hesitation in Reid’s performance. He’d known, or rather his subconscious had known, the right answer instantly. And just as quickly sidestepped it in favor of the wrong one…the safer, more normal one.

Hotch watched Reid’s plane land and taxi to the gate. He’d thought it would be important to meet the young agent as a demonstration of acceptance and support. It’s what he would have wanted, had he been in Reid’s unenviable position. In truth, it was the only comfort Hotch could think to offer.

xxxxxxx

Reid walked through the entrance to the waiting area with his go-bag slung over one shoulder and his ever-present satchel hanging from the other. He didn’t expect to be met by anyone. Privately, he thought it would be a good idea to avoid human company altogether for the rest of his life…or at least as long as his brain continued to manufacture freakish surprises. Walking with his head down, he stopped when a pair of well-shined, black wingtips blocked his path. He only knew one person who kept his professional façade so impeccable.

“Hotch.”

“Hey.”

Fellow travelers cast curious glances at the pair facing off in the middle of the terminal. Something unspoken was passing between them. When the younger teared up, the elder hesitated for an instant, but then stepped forward and wrapped his friend in a hug.

Reid acknowledged the need for human contact and let Hotch hold him for the space of a few heartbeats. It was unusual for his boss to be so demonstrative. He must know I really need this...to feel I’m not a monster to him. Recovering, he stepped back and gave his boss a sickly smile.

“Bescardi told you what I am?”

A sterner look passed over Hotch’s face. “She told me what she thinks you can do. No one needs to tell me what you are. I’ve known that for years.” Reid started to respond, but Hotch cut him off. “And don’t tell me you’re a freak. You’re not. If you say you are, then I’m giving you all of Morgan’s paperwork in addition to your own after the next case. Got it?”