Chapter 37. Misdirection

Bescardi was eager to begin when she reached the monastery.

Finding Reid and Ana lingering over a long, leisurely breakfast, she clapped her hands and rubbed them together in a brisk display of professional enthusiasm.

“I hope you two are ready to put in a good day’s work! Shall we get started?” She was poised in the doorway, waiting for her test subjects to follow her. The young couple stood and pushed their chairs back, but Reid hesitated.

“Where’s Hotch? Isn’t he coming in to eat?”

Bescardi looked toward the main entrance. She fidgeted with the lapel of her lab coat and patted at several loose strands of hair. Tiny signs of being flustered that made Reid raise his chin and peer at her out of narrowed eyes.

“Mr. Hotchner decided to take a drive. He said something about stopping for food along the way.” She gave her guests a broad, almost apologetic grin. “I suppose he doesn’t care for my cooking, yes?”

Seeing the skepticism in Reid’s expression, Bescardi opted for another of her favorite ploys: putting just enough truth into the mixture to misdirect someone who could possibly be sensing her thoughts. “In all honesty, Dr. Reid…Ana…I don’t think your friend likes me very much. And I think once he was convinced that I’m not going to sell you into slavery, he was glad to put some distance between us.” Bescardi looked at the ground. Count! Breathe! One…two…three…Keep calm. Think of the lab. Of readings. Of results. Of honors. That did it, her mind was back on track and sudden inspiration hit her about how to explain anything disturbing the test subjects might pick up from her.

“I’ll confess, Dr. Reid, being around someone who so openly dislikes me is…difficult.” Looking up, Bescardi saw the sympathy in both pairs of eyes observing her. Of course! These two have ample experience being on the outside of social circles. All their lives they’ve been freakish. Oddities. Shunned. She took a deep breath and released it slowly, knowing her audience would interpret it through the lens of their own lives. They’d see a woman dealing with rejection and hostility; not someone tamping down her emotions, trying to mask any visual images of the past hour.

“I know how sensitive people like you are.” She congratulated herself on recalling Hotch’s insistence on the term ‘people’ as opposed to ‘creatures.’

“So I apologize if any friction between myself and Mr. Hotchner is bleeding over and coloring your impressions.” She studied the floor again, knowing it made her look dejected, hoping her tactics were enough to fool these two who, no matter how talented they might be, were still very inexperienced both in life and in the use of their abilities. Particularly the male. His acquisition of ESP is sudden and recent. The female has had her talents all her life. But she’s a mere empath. Somewhat precognitive, but if she hasn’t seen anything concerning Hotchner yet, what I’ve done to him is already in the past. I’m safe from her.

Reid still didn’t seem entirely convinced. Bescardi stepped back and gestured in the direction of the driveway. “See for yourself, Dr. Reid. Mr. Hotchner took the car. He asked me to tell you he’d be back by the end of the day.”

Reid took a few steps, but slowed as he passed close to the doctor. He felt confusing, conflicting emotions. Anxiety, worry, dismay, enthusiasm, but mostly a wild, leaping hope. He shook his head and continued toward the outdoors. As he walked he reflected that there were so many possible causes attendant on what Dr. Bescardi was feeling, it was impossible for him to sort them out. When he came to the main door and saw the car they’d rented was missing, Reid sighed. He really couldn’t imagine the petite doctor doing any bodily harm to his boss. At last he turned back to see both women watching him.