§ Wouldn't You Think §

Masahiro had a slight skip in his step as he walked home that afternoon.
     Before he opened the front door, he folded the ball invitation and tucked it into his apron.
Taking a deep breath, trying to hide his smile, he opened the door. His stepfather was sitting at the dining room table, reading the paper.
His stepbrothers were sitting on top of the table gossiping to each other.
"You know, the Prince is holding a ball next Monday. But only the rich and pretty can go." Andy pretended to whisper but said it loud enough that Masahiro would hear him.
"Yeah... I know..." Drew replied but didn't sound as excited to be going to the ball as Andy.
Masahiro knew why- simply put- Drew had no interest in the Prince. Drew preferred the young brewery owner, Daniel Tenshu.
     They would already be together if Masahiro's stepfather didn't want his two sons to marry some kind of noble man.
     He felt bad for Drew not being able to be with who he wanted so Masahiro would sneak Drew out to the market with him sometimes.
     Masahiro was to lost in thought to notice that his invitation was slightly sticking out and Andy had noticed it. He ran across the dinning room and up to Masahiro before Drew could stop him.
     "What's this?" Andy said loudly, grabbing everyone's attention. He ripped the invitation from his pocket and held it up.
     "Ohh! An invitation to the Prince's ball! Now Masahiro, how did you get this?" He said in an overly sweet voice. Masahiro's stepfather put his paper down and looked towards Masahiro.
     He stood and strolled over to the two while Drew followed him looking around nervously.
     "What is the meaning of this? Did you steal this?" His voice rose with every word and walked ever closer to Masahiro. Masahiro flinched as he felt the edge of the counter press into his side.
     "It doesn't matter you'll be working anyway." He scoffed before turning around and heading towards the fire place.
     "Father what are yo-"
     "Quiet, Drew!" Drew jumped and moved away from him.
     Masahiro stepfather held the invitation up as he threw it in the fire.
     "There, now if by some miracle, you manage to save your invitation from the fire and finish all your chores and find a suit just maybe you'll go to the ball. We know that's impossible though." He laughed as he grabbed his paper and walked upstairs.
     Masahiro ran up to the fire and quickly put it out.
     He looked around for the invitation desperately, cinders covering him completely once again.
     "Look at you, living up to your name, Cinderhiro." Andy snickered as he went off to his bedroom.
     As soon as the two were out of sight , Drew rushed over and sat on his knees beside Masahiro.
     "Masahiro your invitation is gone..." He gently took Masahiro's hands in his. Masahiro could not meet his stepbrothers eyes. Drew thought for a moment.
     "But... I have no good reason to go to the ball, so how about you go in my place?"
     "What- what do you mean?"
     "What I mean is- I've got a plan that we'll help both of us. I just need you to trust me."
     "Andrew has been fairly nice to me, compared to the others. And I'm already a mess, so why not?"
     Masahiro looked him in the eyes.
     "Okay, I trust you."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

~570 words~
~So after having a pretty good day I felt like writing more Cinderella Au! But what will happen in the next chapter? And can Andrew be trusted? You'll have to wait and see~

~570 words~~So after having a pretty good day I felt like writing more Cinderella Au! But what will happen in the next chapter? And can Andrew be trusted? You'll have to wait and see~

~Shipwhatever