Protector

~Arnav~

Horizon darkened with the mood of the situation. Dark clouds gave the message of upcoming war. The whizzing sound of fire in the background created a dramatic atmosphere and there she lay limp on the road in Kero's arms. There was no movement in her chest.

Kero's thoughts broke my trance. "Do you know how to give CPR?", he shouted a panic set in his tone.

As if my lips had its own accord and before I could stop my response "Yes I do", slipped from my mouth.

I debated whether to save her or not. But then looking at her lifeless body I couldn't resist my legs, which was now walking towards her.

"Please save her", Kero pleaded clutching her in his arms. I wonder what has gotten into him yet again. Why so much of emotions for our hostage? Kero has seen many women dying. It isn't new to him. He has been a stone, hell he has killed some during our encounters. But why does this woman affecting him so much? I question is killing me from inside, because my training is failing miserably.

"PLEASE ASR SAVE HER", he shouted him time making me gauge him keenly.

I reached where he was sitting caressing her silky long hair. My vision shifted from a distressed soldier towards woman in question. Her face was pale and I know she is sinking drastically. If I don't perform CPR she will be dead in no time. Irrespective of several warning by my head I went with my gut feeling.

I kneeled on the road and took her face holding behind her head and lay on the ground. Kero stood up from where he was sitting. Another blast echoed across the horizon making her face glow in that spark.

I placed two fingers against her neck to check her pulse. I couldn't find any. I quickly removed her tshirt to so that I can inspect her chest while performing CPR.

I pressed both of my hands on her chest and pushed counting one to twenty one, which was barely audible. Then closed my lips against her closing her nose then breathing twice. Her chest raised and fell in the motion but her breath was still missing. I repeated it twice, my counting coming out desperately now. But there was no sign of her natural chest movement. SHIT!

"Come on", I dragged my words before trying it for the third time. "1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21...come on Khushi", I said against her lips before performing it for the last time. I knew if she doesn't respond now then we have lost her. My lips were still holding hers when I felt a tiny vibration. I don't know from where it came from, her lips or her chest. I leaned back to check.

"I see movement", Kero guided me through my numbness. I checked her chest to confirm the same. Her chest moved very slowly as she inhale and exhaled. Kero sighed but stood rooted to where he was. I glanced at him once and then checked her. Some colour returned to her face and all I could do was to watch her breathing.

Irony you call it, a man who takes life has given one today. I have never saved anybody. Thinking about saving my enemy's daughter I laughed inwardly. After all her father killed my father so technically I should have killed her to give my father's soul a peaceful heavenly aboard.

"We should find a shelter ASR. We cannot stay on the road for long. They will track us soon. And we don't even have any signal to inform at our base", Kero's efficiency has always impressed me. Today was no different. He was right. We have to find somewhere to spend the night.

"Lets get inside the jungle. While you wait with her in a safe I will go and find a place".

I got up from where I was sitting, my eyes fixed on her. "ASR, we have to hurry".