Chapter 3 ~ It had Been a Long Morning

Ellie neared the parking lot outside of the school, still in shock of what she had witnessed in the bathroom. She rubbed her forehead as it thumped hard against her skull, her stress and fear causing the migraine. She wiped her chestnut-colored hair out of her face, and looked down at her feet, especially the cut one. Perhaps she would wait for her mother to pick her up before she tried to take any measures to clean her wound.

Stumbling around, Ellie tried to clear her head. She suddenly bumped into something big and stiff. She fell over, her palms scraping against the rough pavement, catching her fall. Looking up, Ellie saw that she had bumped into Jack, one of the other agents. He held out a hand to help her up. She grabbed it and was brought to her feet.

"Sorry." She said distractedly, looking around nervously. "I—"

"It's no worries." Jack interrupted, studying her face and continuing, "Are you ok?"

"Yes," Ellie replied, her voice sounding defiant. She glanced down at her hands, which were covered in numerous scratches from their previous meeting with the rocky ground. Ellie balled up her fists and crossed her arms. She looked up, meeting his gaze. "What are you doing, anyway?" She asked with a tone of harshness. "I thought you had to interview students."

"I do." He said. "Most of the students have gone home, anyway, so I have to wait until tomorrow." Jack paused for a moment, then looked at her crossed arms. "Show me your hands."

"What?" Ellie was confounded.

"Show me your hands." Jack repeated stubbornly.

Ellie scowled at him, her brown eyes glaring at him suspiciously. She held out her scratched up hands, which were bleeding slightly. "They'll be fine, I'll just get some Band-Aids when I get home." She said reassuringly.

Gazing at her, Jack took her hands and held them. There was a strange glowing light emitting from his fingers, and Ellie felt warmth coming from them. Ellie looked at the gold light. What was this? She looked back up at Jack, and his previously bright blue eyes had changed to the same shade of yellowish gold as the light. Jack let go, putting his hands at his side awkwardly. The scratches on Ellie's palms were healed and nowhere to be seen. She flexed her fingers, in awe of what just happened.

"They look much better now!" Jack said, smiling happily.

Ellie backed away, not taking her eyes off of Jack. "Uh... I think my mom is here." She peered over Jack's shoulders. "Yep, I see her car." She started walking away, fear seeping into her now healed hands and causing them to shake. "That's not normal." She muttered to herself.

She didn't see Jack's face, but knew the smile that was spread across his face had vanished. "Wait!" He said desperately, grabbing her arm and stopping her.

Ellie looked back at Jack, her eyes widening as her heart started thumping rapidly. "Let go of me, freak!" She wrenched her arm away from him, and bolted.

As she approached her mother's car, she looked back to see Jack, standing there, completely still, watching. She climbed into the passenger seat and let out a sigh of relief. It had been a long morning. She looked at her mother, who had begun driving off. Ellie told her about the murder, leaving out the part where she had snuck into the crime scene. Her mother seemed strangely calm about the deaths of the two students.

"I'm sure the police will catch the killer." She said, patting Ellie's shoulder. "And maybe you'll even have school tomorrow."

"Yeah." Ellie mumbled, not feeling reassured. She looked out the sleek car window for the rest of the ride home, saying nothing. Ellie thought about Jack. Maybe she was too harsh on him. He was a freak, anyway. It wasn't nice to pull a stunt like that to someone who was clearly very scared.

She then wracked her brain around about the fake FBI agents, and a deep worry swarmed her mind. What if someone she knew was killed by whoever murdered the couple? What if she got hurt? Nothing will get solved with these lunatics talking about werewolves and vampires.

You know what, she thought determinedly, maybe I'll figure out this murder case myself!