chapter eight

Dearest Clara,

         It's been hard out here. I've seen far more than I ever wanted to see. I sure hope Steve never gets accepted. I don't want him to see all of this.
So, how's my best girl? I want to know everything. How's your job with Howard been? Is the SSR keeping you busy? I know from your last few letters that you're stationed in London. I'm glad we're much closer now. Being an entire sea apart scares me to death. But, knowing that you were away from all of this kept me sane.
That's a lie. Well, not a complete lie. The truth is, the entire thought of you keeps me sane. Your beautiful, soft hair, your pretty little doe eyes and button nose, your joyful laugh. Oh my, I miss you more than anything, my dear Clara.
There's something I've been wanting to tell you for a while, I've just been to scared to say it. Everything will change once I do. I'm going to wait until we meet again to tell you, that way I'll know your exact reaction.
I have to go. We're going on an especially special mission tomorrow and I need some form of rest. I hope to see your beautiful face again, Clara. I wish to come home again, to you. Keep this letter tucked away tight until your receive another. You never know if it'll be my last.

Sincerely,
Your James.

Clara folded up Bucky's last letter to her, worried about the fact that she hadn't gotten another. It had been three months since his last letter, and over a year since she had last seen him.

She heard a knock at her tent and cleared her throat, ridding her self of any sort of sadness.

"Come in," She said. A soldier walked in with a letter in hand. Clara smiled slightly, but the look on this soldier's face held Sorry.

"What's this?" She asked, taking the letter. She opened it up and read the first line.

Dear Ms. Ridgewell,

       Please accept my most profound sympathy on the recent lost of your loved one, Sergeant James B. Barnes of the 107th, who was captured and presumed dead in service of his country on October 21st, 1943.
       Sergeant James Barnes' death has come as a shock to all who knew him. He was a dedicated soldier, who helped lead the 107th infantry well.
       I am deeply sorry for your loss.

Colonel Chester Phillips.

"I'm sorry, Agent Ridgewell," The soldier said before leaving. Angry, sad, and guilty tears washed down Clara's face.

"No, no," She whispered. She looked down at the signature on the paper and clenched her jaw. Without second thought, she rushed out of her tent and into the Colonel's.

"What the hell is this?" She asked, slamming the paper down on his desk. He looked up at her in sorrow.

"A condolence letter, Agent Ridgewell." Clara seethed.

"Capture and presumed dead? What the hell does that even mean?" Clara asked. Phillips stood up with a sigh.

"Sergeant Barnes and most of the 107th were captured by HYDRA. I'm sorry, but your boy is gone," Phillips said, just as Steve stormed in.

"I need the casualty list from Azzano," He said. Peggy followed in suit. Phillips glared at the two of them.

"You don't get to give me orders, son," He told Steve, then turned to the woman. "You and I are gonna have a talk later you won't enjoy." Peggy discretely rolled her eyes and Clara tried to get Steve's attention.

"Steve-"

"Look, I just need one name. James Barnes. B-A-R-" Steve was cut off by Phillips standing up and flipping through a list of letters.

"I can spell, boy. I've signed more of these condolence letters then I can count, but the name is familiar. I'm sorry." Clara was tired of hearing those words. And now, she was beyond pissed.

"Like hell you're sorry! You don't give a damn about any of those soldiers!" Clara yelled, slamming her hands back on the desk with teary eyes.

"You watch the way you talk to me, I'm your superior, Ridgewell," Phillips yelled at her. Clara didn't look phased, scaring almost everybody in the room.

"If James dies, that's on you." And she stormed out, Peggy chasing after her.

Peggy saw her friend collapse into tears on the sand. She was squatted down and sobbing into her hand while the other held her last letter from Bucky. Peggy got down to her level and pulled Clara into an embrace.

"Shh, it's okay," She told her. Peggy looked back and saw Stev arguing beside a truck.

"Steve'll get him back."

Clara sniffed and looked up to Peggy with determined eyes.

"We're going with him."

•••