|Sunsets~18|

|•••|

|•••|

A few days had passed and the boy had remembered his name. Chuck. I was honored as I was the first one he told the morning he remembered.

In this short time of a few days, Chucks and I had grown close. I treated him like a brother and helped him out in the Glade by giving him advice and standing up to anyone who tried to bully him. He was a sweet kid that I felt protective over for some reason. By the end of the week, he had ended up testing all of the jobs and being assigned to Slopper. I felt bad for the kid since he didn't seem very excited about working, especially as a Slopper. After all, Slopper is just about the worst job you could get. Nevertheless, he was assigned to that job and everyone had to do their part.

Running in the maze had been pretty uneventful. The most exciting thing was finding Griever marks scraped onto the stone floor and walls, which was fairly common.

Newt was just as nervous to let me run into the maze as the first day I started running. He came to the doors every morning to wish Minho and I luck on our run.

Surprisingly, I never really got tired of the Glade. I loved waking up every morning to run with one of my best friends and try to find a way out. I loved running back into the Glade at night and being greeted again by Newt before eating dinner with all of my friends. My favorite time of day is the bonfire, which we didn't have every night, but often enough. I would hang out with Newt, Chuck, Minho, and occasionally Alby. We would swap funny stories or jokes as we sat around the campfire and stay up later than any of the other Gladers.

I watched the bonfire from down below as I sat on top of the watch tower. I let my legs dangle down from the tower as I rested my arms on the fence post holding my body back from falling. The bonfire had just started since the sun has not gone down yet completely. It was still peaking over the maze walls, creating an orange and yellow hue on the Glade.

I took a gulp of Gally's secret recipe, which I had learned to actually like, as I heard footsteps walking up the Tower's steps. I looked over my shoulder to see Chuck coming up the stairs. The curly haired boy smiled at me as he made it up the tower, slightly out of breath. He then walked over and plopped down next to me, sitting crisscross with his legs.

"What's up, Chuckie?" I asked the boy as I took another sip of my drink.

"Saw 'yer up here. Thought I'd join you," the boy gave me a big toothy smile, making his cheeks look even chubbier. I smiled at him. "Plus, Newt was lookin' for you."

"Was he?" I asked, continuing to stare at the maze walls ahead of me.

"Yup. I was wondering, what's with you two?" Chuck asked.

"What do you mean?" I turned my head to look at him.

"Ever since I got here two weeks ago, I've noticed you two seem close. Closer than friends even. And I mean, every guy in the Glade stares at you cause you're the only girl, but Newt seems to look at you differently. And you him. He seems to be the one of the only people in the Glade you give the time of day," Chuck shrugged.

"Look who's observant. Why are you so interested?" I asked him, raising an eyebrow. He shrugged.

"Your relationship is about as interesting as it gets around here," the boy smiled.

"And you know I also spend time with Minho, Alby, and you right? Not to mention most of the Gladers," I argued with Chuck.

"Not as much time as Newt," Chuck smirked at me. He then leaned in close to me to whisper something in my ear. "Minho told me about your sleeping arrangements," Chuck whispered with a chuckle.

"I'm gonna kill Minho," I rolled my eyes, taking another sip of my drink.

"Carina!" An accented voice yelled from down below. Chuck and I peeked our heads out over the fencing, looking down at the ground to see Newt staring up at us.

"What's up?" I yelled down.

"I was looking for you. Are you coming down?" He asked, cupping his hands over his mouth so I could hear him better.

"Why don't you come up?" I yelled back. I saw him smile before he walked over to the stairs, heading up the tower. Chuck turned to me with an eyebrow raised. I pushed his face away with a laugh before he stood up and headed down the stairs.

"Hey Chuckie," Newt smiled at the boy as they passed.

"Hey Newt," Chuck smiled, heading down to the bonfire.

"He's a good kid," Newt smiled as he sat down next to me.

"He is," I smiled with a nod. "What's up?"

"Nothing, just wanted to see you," Newt shrugged

"What's going on down there?" I asked, noticing a bunch of Gladers cheering around Gally.

"Gally just beat some shank and they're celebrating. Although he never looses. Except for when you beat his bloody arse," Newt nudge me with his shoulder as we both laugh at the memory. I nodded, leaning my head on his shoulder as we both stared at the sunset beyond the Glade walls. The blue sky slowly turned black as the stars came out, shining above our heads. And the only light in the Glade was the illumination from the bonfire.