XIV. WHAT IF

COLORS ϟ SIRIUS BLACK

XIV. WHAT IF

LILY WAS REGRETFUL

LILY WAS REGRETFUL. She wasn't sure of what, but ever since the fight she had a weighted feeling of remorse.

"Leave him ALONE!"

"I don't need help from filthy little Mudbloods like her!"

Her memory from what occurred just hours before rang through her head, clanging like a bell.

She didn't understand why Severus and James couldn't just ignore each other, and move on with their lives. Yes, what James and Sirius did was extremely inappropriate and uncalled for, but Snape was in the wrong too. Neither party was blameless, but they all thought they were right. Lily was sure that if you looked at the situation from Sirius or James' eyes they would recall Severus taunting them and if you saw it through Snape's perspective he would recall minding his own business. One thing Lily did not regret was walking away, perhaps it was a bit immature but after what Severus called her a she wasn't sure if she was going to burst into tears or hex them all.

This wouldn't have happened if Clara was here.

She didn't realize how close she had grown to Clara until she went missing. Every time something funny would happen in class Lily would go to turn to Clara but then remembered she wasn't there. It was then when Lily began her search, looking for Clara.

It seemed no one else was. The so-called Marauders were all talk, they acted like they cared she was gone but they didn't seem to be doing anything about it. Other than getting in fights with Slytherins. So Lily began looking around for clues.

She spent hours in the library looking up other student disappearances, which was not encouraging. Lily couldn't do this often, the dark histories of Hogwarts were not for those with weak stomachs.

Her intentions were not entirely selfless, there was a small part of her who wanted to find Clara herself to prove to Sirius that she did have her friend's best interests at heart. But what kind of act was completely selfless these days?

The entire school had heard about the Severus Incident, and people kept gave her pitying looks. She couldn't tell the difference between those who were sorry she had been called a Mudblood and those who were sad for Clara Green going missing. It was isolating, even though Lily was on the right 'side' of an issue, she was treated like a pariah.

So, when she wasn't with Mary or Marlene she was searching for Clara, mostly looking out of kindness but a small part of her wanted to find her before James and his friends did.

Whether or not her intentions were completely moral, Lily was still getting nowhere. As she walked through the halls of Hogwarts doing her Prefect rounds, a feeling of defeat washed over her. It had been four months since Lily had last saw Clara, and the stress was affecting everyone, not just Lily.