11 First Date

RJ volunteered to clear the table and wash the dishes as Nicki excused herself to freshen up. It didn't take long for her to get dressed. Like RJ, she also felt their need to get out of her unit because she's afraid that if they stay a little bit longer, she might not be able to control herself anymore. So she quickly prepared and before they knew it, they were already riding the elevator down to basement parking.

She realized that what transpired in her kitchen is already an obvious sign that they're still too attracted with each other. But she can't just act like nothing happened in the past months and they can't just pick up where they left off after that fateful night in Boracay. Even if she felt like the heavy feeling was lifted off her chest, clearly she still has her apprehensions. She pondered on these things last night until she dozed off. She's really confused because somehow her mind and her heart say two different things. She didn't really know if what she's given him was just the benefit of the doubt or if she truly believed him. Well, it's really not so hard to believe him anyway. But what does she really know? Her mind tells her that it might be another ploy to get to her or get her back. Yet her heart makes her feel the sincerity in his eyes when he was asking for an apology as he was recalling the events of that night. Something in her mind still tells her to guard her heart and be careful this time around. And she figured that what her mind's telling her is true. Everything she's feeling is all so new to her knowing that she has not had any experience with the opposite sex. But she knew now that she can't just rely on what she truly feels for him. Because for one, she doesn't want history to repeat itself. Two, she doesn't wanna be regarded as an easy girl. And last but most importantly not the least, she wanted to make sure of his intentions. He didn't really say that he still likes her. If her memory serves her right, he just explained his side and cleared the issue when they had the talk last night. True, he asked for them to start over but she was as clueless as to what exactly does it mean to them. So she presumed that it's just right for them to take things one step at a time.

Eh hindi naman kasi niya sinabi sayo na
liligawan ka o susuyuin ka. Diba sinabi
lang niya kagabi he wanted to start over?
Baka ang ibig lang sabihin nun gusto niya
maging friends na kayo. Pero iba kasi yung
nafifeel ko sa mga tingin nya. Hays! Wag
mo kasi pangunahan, self! Nagooverthink
ka na naman eh. Ienjoy mo na lang yung date.

She was so lost in her own thoughts that she didn't notice the elevator doors already opened as they reached the basement parking. She was only taken out of her thoughts when RJ asked her if they are already on the right floor.

Uhm, Nicki, dito na ba?

Huh? Ah, yeah this way.

She walked ahead of RJ and led him to her car. RJ, on the other hand, remained silent with almost the same thoughts going on his head. He was also thinking of what happened in her kitchen. He didn't want her to think he was taking advantage. Much more, he didn't want her to think that he only came back to her for one thing. He knew that they can't just continue what they've started in Boracay. After all that has happened, the last thing he wanted was for Nicki to feel that he's only fooling around. He's not that kind of guy. He doesn't play around. Once he set his mind and heart into something, he will surely give his everything to get what he wants. He wanted to make up for the lost time when the universe decided to cut off their ties. Now that the universe has given him another shot, he wanted to do right by her. To let her know that he has the purest intentions. So he gathered all his self-control not kiss her in the kitchen even when he's already at his wits end. And he was thankful that he succeeded not to close the small gap between their lips. He wanted to give himself a pat on the back when he even asked her out. Because really, he didn't know how he was able to ask that. He didn't know how long he was holding his breath as he waited for her response. He thought it might be too soon to ask her and she might take it the wrong way. All he wanted was to spend some more time with her. To get to know her better. So he realized it was worth a shot. He didn't expect her to agree but he was more than happy when she smiled so sweetly as she replied.