5. After Earth

"Mankind really did reach for the stars." Jim, Mr. Spock, Dr. McCoy and I sat in a conference room. I had a cup of steaming hot chocolate between my hands and a smile so large that I wouldn't be surprised if my face split in two. My cup of pudding was now empty and two others had joined it. I watched as Jim programed a machine to create them. Apparently Nurse Chapel had used a similar machine to make the clothes I was wearing. It filled me with a kind of child like amazement that things like this could exist.  

"And now we sail among them." Kirk had a twinkle in his eye, and for a second his face held nothing but wonder as he peered out a window to view the stars. He was a wanderer at heart. What better place for someone who wanted to see what was out there than to go somewhere no one had gone before?

"Oh yes," McCoy scoffed, "it opened up a whole new chapter for death and disease."

"All new ventures do come with their own risks, Doctor." As McCoy sarcastically thanked Spock for his observation, I took the opportunity to study the First Officer. They gently informed me that he was an alien from a planet called Vulcan. His people were stronger than humans, didn't display emotion, had heightened senses, and like me extraordinary mental gifts, also they didn't like to be touched. He'd used his gifts to keep me from looking at him too closely so I wouldn't notice his pointed ears and slanted eyebrows. Now I glanced at him every few seconds. He didn't tell me to stop and his facial expression never changed but I hoped I wasn't being overly rude.

"Jasmine, how did you manage to escape the popsicle treatment?" Jim asked.

They'd told me about their run in with my more unseemly relations. It blew my mind that they had survived all those years. I wasn't a part of the decision that spared them the death penalty and sentenced them to exile instead. Khan and what was left of his group were blasted into space, asleep, seemingly forever. Truthfully I had expected them to die, cryostatsis had been in its early days, and I had no faith in it; maybe the judges didn't either.

"After the successful creation of Khan, and others, the military wanted to make a soldier that not only had their enhanced physical abilities, but also extraordinary mental gifts. They tried and failed for years. My parents were like Khan but fought against him. Eventually they agreed to provide the necessary components for life for the newest genetic project.

The scientists failed with my two older sisters but on the third try they got it right. I inherited the physical traits and the new ones the doctors wanted. But the mental abilities came at the cost of some of my extra physical skill. They never figured out why." 

"So that's why you're weaker than Khan," McCoy said sitting back in his chair. I nodded.

"It is fascinating. But why were not more like you created?" Spock asked. 

"I still needed to grow up, and even then it took years for me to master those skills before I could be put to use. For whatever reason whenever they tried this with adults it wouldn't take. Since no other children inherited the mental qualities funding for the project was cut. But as the conflict with Khan escalated things began to change. The project was reopened but before it got off the ground the facility was bombed; all the top scientists and decades of research gone. Everything related to this project was housed in that bunker. What was left wasn't enough to start it up it again so they didn't try.

My family and I were considered property and fully at the military's disposal. But my father didn't want his kids to have that kind of life. He struck a deal with world leaders that promised us wealth, and freedom after Khan was defeated, but only if I helped. The military was convinced it would be my abilities that ultimately tipped the scale in their favor. That part worked out, but my mom died in the conflict."

"Sounds depressing," Kirk blurted out.

"I only met her a few times." I shrugged.

"Odd considering the history of you species," Spock said.

"Don't mind him, his species doesn't believe in emotion." McCoy rolled his eyes. "You get used to the pointy-"

"Bones we have a guest," Kirk said.

"About me being a guest—when will you send me home?" 

"We cannot," Spock said bluntly before the others could speak.

"Say again."

"I believe you heard me, Miss Sharpe."

"What my somewhat insensitive, but well-meaning, First Officer is trying to say is that, we don't have the technology, or knowledge, to send you back to your time," Jim said this with gentleness and sincerity, but it didn't lessen the blow. I felt numb. Maybe that was shock, I don't know. I opened my mouth, closed it, then opened it again as the reality settled over me.

"I-I-I'm stuck here?" McCoy and Kirk exchanged looks of concern while Spock just stared at me with a blank expression. "You're sure there's nothing you can do?"

"Yes. However even if it were in our power to send you back we would not."

"What?"

"Spock maybe you should shut up," McCoy suggested while squirming in his chair.

"Why not?"

Spock was about to reply but Jim cut him off. "We've searched the records from your time period, and what we've learned is that you disappeared in Egypt, and were never found." he placed a hand on my arm.

"They think I'm dead!" I stood up abruptly.

"That is the most likely conclusion."

"Spock," Jim said in a warning tone.

"They'll never know. My family, they'll never know what happened to me." Tears flooded my eyes. "My sisters' birthday is coming up. I thought about getting them Egyptian cat necklaces." My hands flew up to my chest where a white gold locket hung from a silver chain, inside were engraved pictures of my sisters and father. Now it was the only way I'd ever see them again. I broke into hysterics after that fact washed over me. I vaguely remember Dr. McCoy wrapping me in his arms and letting me cry and scream into his shoulder. Through my haze I heard him ask if it was okay to give me a sedative. "It wouldn't work." I sobbed into his shoulder.