Chapter 9

Chapter 9:

"Where were you?" I tilted my head to the side as Zach pushed through me. I had opened the door and he rushed in without a greeting, heading towards the the kitchen.

When I had arrived at homeroom yesterday, Zach had decided to ditch school. For the whole day.

"Oh, I was busy," he mumbled while sticking his head in and rumbling through my fridge.

I crossed my arms even though he couldn't see me, "right..."

He sighed before standing up and closing the fridge. My eyes widened and a hand flew to my mouth.

"Zach, what happened to your face?" I horridly exclaimed, in shock.

There was a large bruise on the left side of his face, his eye was surrounded by a hideous black and purple colour and his lip was slightly swollen. No wonder he had been avoiding my gaze when he had walked in.

"Don't worry about me," he swatted me away and tried to leave the kitchen but I wouldn't budge.

"Of course I would worry, you're my friend!" I exclaimed. My eyes widened and a blush spread over my cheeks. I tried to carry up my words, "um... w-what I mean is that you should... um, yeah, you... eh..."

Zach draped a reassuring arm around me, "we're friends, London."

My heart fluttered happily at the new term in my life. Friends. I smiled up at him apprehensively and he gave me a nod. I told him to wait for a moment, and rushed off to grab something. When I came back to the kitchen, he was sitting on one of the chairs by the kitchen counter. I threw him an ice pack, and with amazing reflexes, he quickly caught it.

"Thanks," he mumbled, wincing as he pressed it against his face.

"What happened?" I asked in a blunt tone.

He sighed, "well, yesterday I met up with Raiden and he greeted me with a bloody punch to the face."

"He did that in one punch?" Wow.

"We're okay, now. He just needed to vent out his anger," he chuckled, "but he was definitely not happy with us."

I had wanted to text Raiden but I didn't know what say, and admittedly, I missed talking to him. I wondered what he was doing while I was walking home, I wondered if he was having dinner or if he had ate as I was eating mine and I patiently waited for him to text me at night like a desperate girlfriend.

Suddenly, a thought struck me and I furrowed my eyebrows, "didn't you say Raiden was busy for 2 days? Why was he back yesterday?"

Zach nodded his head and explained, "he got worried when you decided to fall asleep during your phone call. So he immediately left his meeting and came to check on you."

My mind reeled in shock and my mouth hung open. What? Zach chuckled at my expression, "he was scared."

I couldn't process the fact that Raidan had... ditched a meeting to check on me.

"He cares about you, a lot London."

My cheeks flamed up. I really wanted to believe that but after yesterday's performance, I wasn't so sure.

"Why were you here, then? He couldn've asked you to check on me instead of not finishing his meeting?" I still couldn't believe he did that, this was what I meant when I said I didn't like it when people did things for me. It was a meeting and probably important but he decided to check on me himself.

"Well," Zach scratched the back of his neck, "he told me to pick you up for school and I was awake so I decided to come to your house."

I paused, "how'd you get in?"