Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I scoured the sidewalks for any sign of Michelle as Jake drove through 25th Street. It was around six, and the sky was getting darker. The street was flanked by houses on either side and few cars drove past us. It was a quiet neighbourhood, with some pedestrians walking past and giving us suspicious looks for Jake was driving slowly to find Michelle easily.

Fortunately, Michelle's bright red hair made it easy for me to spot her. She was in the small park in the neighbourhood, sitting on one of the grey, run-down benches with her head bent and her hands clasped in her lap.

Jake parked the car and I got out, almost running towards Michelle. Jake followed me hesitantly, staying a few feet away so as not to make Michelle uncomfortable. After all, they hadn't even met and Michelle might not confess in front of him.

"Michelle?"

She looked up at me with distraught eyes, biting her lower lip nervously. I was relieved to find that she wasn't hurt. At least, not physically.

"Thanks for coming," she whispered in a hoarse voice.

"Michelle…did he…" I trailed off uneasily as I sat down on the bench beside her.

"No…he didn't do anything…" she said. "But he tried…" she added after a pause.

I clenched my hands into fists. That desperate asshole! But I couldn't let my anger for that jackass get to me. I needed to be there for Michelle. I rubbed her back and squeezed her hand. I kind of sucked at comforting people; I never knew what to say, so I stuck to hugging or holding their hands.

"What did he do?" I asked cautiously.

"He tried to…to…you know…" she said, taking a deep breath.

"Didn't I tell you not to go to his house?" I blurted out before I could help myself. I knew that making her feel guilty wasn't the right thing to do, but like I said, I was never good at consoling people.

"I didn't go to his house, he told me it was a party at his friend's house," she replied. "There was no party; he and his friend planned it."

My jaw dropped.

"I denied…he got angry…he threatened to break up with me…I ran here and called you…"

Inside, I was feeling relieved that nothing too serious had happened. I squeezed Michelle's hand again and gave her a one-armed hug.

"Michelle, you should break up with him," I said. "You know he's only going out with you for sex and he'll break up with you after he's done."

I knew it was harsh, but at that moment, I hated Andrew for doing this to my best friend. If I ever confronted him, I knew I'd kill him.

"He says that we never do anything…that we're acting like best friends and that this would make our relationship stronger…"

I scoffed. "Jeez, do best friends make out with each other?" I said disbelievingly, making Michelle's lips slightly twitch.

"Hey, Rebecca, we should try that sometime and find out," Jake piped in suddenly with a grin plastered on his face.

Michelle widened her eyes as she finally noticed Jake. I rolled my eyes at him, even though I felt my stomach doing a back-flip.

"And this annoying pervert is Jake," I introduced with a dramatic sigh.

Jake walked closer and took a bow. "Thank you, dear."

"Oh, shut up," I snapped, even though I was grinning. Michelle smiled at us before getting up from the bench.