Chapter 8: Some Drama

Payu could not believe her eyes. She read the black board again and she rubbed her eyes...

Kum Payal Mahavansi scored 100% marks...  Her class teacher Rama hugged her tight and kissed her forehead.

Where are your mom and dad? She asked...  Let me call Pinky and give her the news, she said.

Don't give now, mam... I can't believe my eyes and I am so happy.

God is Good... I am blessed, she smiled.

You are indeed a blessing sweetie, a sense of pride for our school and your parents . 

Mam,can you call mom? and say I failed... Let us play a prank... Payu insisted her teacher.

Rama mam disagreed first but it will be fun, she thought...

The marksheets were distributed and Payu was congratulated by the fellow classmates and their parents.  Poonam had secured 50% marks but she passed and she was happy about it Saniya was jealous because always she stood first and this time it was Payu... She regretted introducing her to a film star who was their neighbour. She had done it to feel more priveledged than her.  She was jealous,  Shah Rukh Khan will be awarding the topper this time...

Saniya made a foul face and escaped.

  Payu's well wishers hugged her and tears of happiness filled her eyes.  She suddenly felt bad as she was missing Mom and Papa.   Every year mom praised Saniya for extra one or two marks she scored and that made her a topper. Saniya will top and I can't stand Mrs Saxena, Pinky had given this reason and have refused to go to school to collect her daughter's SSC results.

Rama mam, please play the prank...

She convinced a few teachers, friends and their parents to plan a drama...

Rama madam's voice shivered when she told Pinky a white lie that Payal failed and first time their school got a bad name.  Pinky needs to immediately reach school as the school management were ashamed of her daughter ...

Rama disconnected the line....

Pinky could not believe her ears but she believed in her favorite KD Pathak's words :

Jo hota hein Woh diktha Nahi
Jo diktha hein Woh Hota Nahi

Payu can't fail,  Pinky was sure but she was scared... What if something went wrong and she really failed?

Sunil will be upset more than Payu,  his daughter was his pride.  A mother's heart started beating faster. She was calling Payu...

Payu made a dramatic face and cried.

I am sorry Mom,  I am not coming home. I failed...Payu was acting like a film star over the phone.

Mamma is coming and don't go anywhere,  she told her child.  She hired a taxi as she was scared to drive....

When she reached school Payu ran towards her. Pinky hugged her tight and the black board was surrounded by teachers and parents.

Pinky could not read it and Poonam made a funny face.  She said :

Aunty, I got 50% parts and I couldn't imagine Payu can fail... Hmm Hmm Hmm.

She sounded like Samantha, their classmate in their Jaan Tere Naam,  (college)days.  She slapped Poonam in anger and walked, dragging Payu...

You can't run away Mrs Pinky Sunil Mahavansi,  Miss Rama remarked with a dread expression.

Pinky turned and everyone clapped clearing the space.