Chapter 23

The same day:

Tyler's POV

After twenty minutes of driving through average traffic, I pulled out in front of Alexa's building.

I park my Jaguar in the visitor parking lot and make my way to the elevator, which will lead me to Alexa's apartment on the tenth floor.

Once out of the elevator, I walk down the long corridor with apartments on either sides of me until I reach Alexa's.

She lived in apartment twenty-three. I glanced at the name plate, which read, Alexa Owens.

I remember something as soon as I look at the 23 in gold font on the front door.

There was this American TV show I'd watch back in college. It was named Don't trust the b**** in apartment 23.

I couldn't help but laugh when I compared the show's name to Alexa's apartment.

Kenny would've laughed too.

Also, when I first met Kenny, her case number was twenty-three from her previous hospital.

I can't help but think of her every minute of my existence.

I shake my thoughts away and ring the doorbell.

I hear fast footsteps, and within seconds, Alexa is in front of me with the door wide open.

"Hey Ty, I'm so glad you're here," she squeals with joy.

"Hi," I smile.

She moves aside so that I can walk in, and shuts the door behind me.

"So, how do I look?" she asks, wiggling her perfectly crafted eyebrows.

"Huh? Yeah, fine," I say, looking at her very-short shorts and a super-tiny t-shirt.

"Just fine? It took me ages to find the right outfit, Ty," she adds dramatically.

"Well, it's not like it matters anyway. You look fine," I say coldly.

I was least interested in the way she dressed or looked.

"Oh," she says, sounding offended, and walks into her kitchen.

Oh no.

I follow her into her kitchen.

"I'm sorry, Alexa. I didn't mean what I said. It's just that I'm too stressed right now," I say, exhaling loudly.

"It's okay, Ty. I know you're upset because your best friend isn't doing too well," she says, walking close to me.

"She's not just my best friend; she's my girlfriend too," I say, looking at the surprise on her face.

"Wha- what are you talking about? Since when?" her eyes are the size of saucers.

"It's almost going to be two weeks now," I say, my thoughts drifting back to the day I told Kenny how I felt about her.

"Two weeks?" Alexa sounds offended.

"Yes," I smile.

"And you didn't even tell me about it?" she asks, sounding mad.

"Wait, don't you know? Almost everyone on our floor knows," it was my turn to be surprised.

Alexa didn't know? I find that hard to believe.

"Oh, it looks like I was left out," she says, shrugging her shoulders. "Anyways, dinner's ready."