Chapter 24

It's almost two in the morning, I'm sitting outside in a night gown and a pair of leggings with cherries on them, jamming to the Korean version of Chewing Gum by NCT Dream. My life is the epitome of excitement I swear.

...

Yixing's POV

...

Tonight was much like last night, the only difference being Ying Yue and I were outside in the garden. And, you know, Tao was here too. I gazed up at the violet and orange sky, feeling serene. My beautiful fiance and my best friend. What more could I ask for?

"Thinking again?" a quiet voice asked. I hummed in response as Ying Yue sat beside me on the blanket. Her fingers glided delicately through my hair. "What about?" she asked.

"Really nothing," I replied. "And also kind of everything. It's crazy to think about sometimes, you know?"

"I get it," she answered. "Do you honestly think I'd ever imagined myself in the position I am now?" She chuckled lowly, her fingers stilling. "I don't think any of us actually dared to dream it. After all, there's thousands of girls your age. What would be the odds you picked one of us." She leaned close and pecked my cheek. I felt my face grow hot. "Thank you for choosing me Yixing. I'm very honored."

"Yes, well," I said, sitting up. "I'd yet to meet a girl quite like you." She smiled her dazzling smile. I drew one leg up to my chest and wrapped my as around my knee. "What did you see in me anyway?" I joked lightly. "After all, you said it yourself. I was a fumbling, tongue-tied idiot."

"Perhaps." This time she kissed my lips, short and sweet. "But your my fumbling, tongue-tied idiot." After that we lapsed into silence, broken occasionally by Tao mumbling to himself as he stretched. Quiet nights like this were my favorite.

And all at once I longed to be at the Korean palace. I wanted to sit in the gardens with Junmyeon again, sharing the picnic we never truly got to have together. I wanted to talk about all the big things and the little things with him as the sun set. I wanted us to retreat back to his room and lie down together. I wanted to feel his arms around me and feel his breath tickling my neck. I wanted to wake up and stare across the bed and see his peaceful face once again. I just wanted him. And I wanted it so bad.

But I shook those thoughts away. Those were bad thoughts. Ones I shouldn't have. I had to remind myself that part of my life was done with. I had to focus on my future, and making it the best it could possibly be. And even if some nights I dreamed it, unfortunately, I knew the truth. My future didn't contain him.

"Xing?" I glanced over to Ying Yue. Worry danced across her features. "Are you alright? You act like everything's fine, but I can tell something isn't. Please. Talk to me. What's wrong." I bit the inside of my cheek. I couldn't tell her. She sighed. "I hope one day you'll trust me enough to tell me why you always seem so sad."

"I'm not always sad," I protested, even if it was kind of a lie. I wasn't always sad. But I had my moments. "I'm just deep in thought is all. You don't need to worry about me." For a little while, she didn't say anything. But it was clear she was thinking.

"I just want you to be happy," she said at last. "I hope I can make you happy some day." I opened my mouth to reply, but the sound of the doors opening stopped me. I turned as Luhan gazed around warily.

"You texted?" he called. I shot him a confused look. No, I hadn't. "Pardon me sire, but not you," he added. He fixed his gaze on Ying Yue. "You texted?" he repeated.

"It's too nice a night to be cooped up in there," she replied, leaning her head on my shoulder. "Come out and join us. The weather's nice." A smile broke across his face and he eagerly strode out to meet us. "By the way, Luhan, thank you for caring for Yixing all these years," she continued. He simply stared. "Your job doesn't necessarily entail you to care for him like you do, but you always have anyway. You've treated him like your little brother, and shaped him into the man he is today. So thank you."