Chapter 2

Holy moly it's chapter two. Only months after I wrote the first chapter. Also if my phone could stop being a huge dick bag that would be great.

Fun fact of the day I'm listening to a combination of EXO cbx's Someone Like You, NCT U's Boss, and NCT Dream's Go as I write (right now it's super funny because my friend and I are having a conversation about Go).

...

Junmyeon's POV

...

I moved swiftly between guests, observing the party proceedings with interest. The palace ball room was packed with people, though it was to be expected. This peace treaty between the two countries had been a long time coming, and there were plenty of people, commoners and royalty alike, who'd been anxiously waiting for this day.

"Sire." I jumped when Heechan spoke beside me. "Your father requests your presence." I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, instead following behind Heechan as he guided me through the throngs of people. As we got closer to my father, I could just make out who he was talking to. King Zhang and his wife. I approached slowly, hoping to remain out of the limelight for a little while longer. But father seemed to have other ideas, because he caught sight of me almost instantly.

"Junmyeon!" he called, beckoning me over. I bowed as I approached, and I heard a faint hum of approval, though from who I wasn't sure. "This is my son," dad continued.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," I said to King Zhang. I took a quick glance around. No Yixing. "I just remembered I left something in my room. I must retrieve it." Another bow. Before they could say anything, I raced off. As I sped by Heechan, he looked up at me questioningly, but I just made a wild gesture towards the stairs and continued on my way.

It wasn't like I didn't like parties. I did. But I was feeling a bit suffocated with all the people. And of course the expectation that I was a perfect little prince and didn't do anything wrong or step out of line or even properly think for myself. It just showed how little people actually knew me. If they knew the real me, I doubt I'd be the crowned prince, much less the beloved one.

"I'm telling you." I slowed as I passed one of the guest bedrooms, hearing an unfamiliar voice, though it was undoubtedly Korean they were speaking. "The crowd down there is nuts. Are you sure I have to go back?"

"Yes sire," a second voice chimed in. "Your parents would disapprove if you spent all your time hiding up here in your room." I backed away slowly. Sire. That first voice... It had to have been Yixing. I felt anxiety gnawing at my stomach. But I pulled myself together, running lightly to my room to grab my gift. I tucked it under my arm and took my time going back down to the ball room.

"Here," I said as I approached Heechan, thrusting the wrapped box in his hands. "Keep that safe for me. I'm going to try to avoid this stupid dance." And once again I left before Heechan could reprimand me. Honestly I was tired, irritable, and just wanted the night to be over. But outwardly I smiled, bowing politely to guests when necessary. I still had an image to uphold, and I'd be damned if I was ruining it tonight.

"Ah." I whirled around when I heard someone behind me, coming face to face with an unfamiliar body, though a young one. "Crowned Prince Junmyeon," the boy spoke, bending at his waist in a neat bow. "It is a pleasure to meet you." Considering the formal speech, and the unmistakable accent hidden underneath, this could only be one person. "Would you like to dance?" Yixing asked, extending his hand in an offering.

"You'll have to do a bit better than that, Crowned Prince Yixing," I said lowly as I bowed back. As I straightened, I noticed the easy smile he'd been wearing before was replaced with a frown that honestly looked far too comfortable on his features. I wasn't sure why, but my insides gave a little twist as seeing that. "It takes a lot more than that to impress me."