Chapter 7

Anyone else furiously (sometimes literally) play Superstar SMTown, JYPNation, or BTS? Because those mobile games will be the death of me.

...

Junmyeon's POV

...

I once again found myself at Yixing's door, feeling my heart slam against my ribs for no apparent reason. Except for maybe this time it was because I was finally coming to terms with what was happening to me. I raised a fist and knocked, waiting to hear if there was any movement. Much to my delight, there was. After a few moments, Yixing threw open the door, and my jaw nearly hit the floor.

"Prince Junmyeon, hello," he said calmly, like he didn't know he was dressed up. "What brings you here?" I finally picked my jaw up, and I gave him a funny look.

"Can't I come see you after I get done with my prior engagements?" I asked him. "After all, you are my guest." He seemed to think about that.

"I suppose," he said, and his slightly aloof tone felt like a punch to my gut. What was happening? "How was your date today?" he asked, leaning against the doorway with his arms crossed. I nearly choked on my saliva.

"It was...nice," I answered carefully. "How did you know I had a date today?" He lifted a shoulder in a shrug, and I fought back the urge to scream. It was like I didn't know him at all again, and I hated it. Where was my smiling, happy, Yixing that I adored so much? "Hey, I was thinking," I continued, hoping to shake off the awkward atmosphere. "Once this weather finally clears up, would you like to walk through Seoul with me? It's a beautiful city."

"That's very nice of you," Yixing said, everything coming out sounding careful and calculated. "Yes. That would be nice. In the mean time, is there anything I should know about while I'm here?"

"No, not really," I said, feeling my spirits sink. My Yixing was gone, replaced by a boy who's walls were so high he couldn't possibly see over them. "I'm a bit tired. I think I'll go sleep for a bit. Maybe this weather will lighten up." I tried for a smile, but he didn't seem in the mood for jokes. His neutral expression dropped into a frown, and I sighed quietly. "I will see you later Prince Yixing," I mumbled, dropping into a clumsy bow.

"Until later Prince Junmyeon," he responded, and I didn't dare look him in the eye. I turned and walked briskly away, hearing his door click shut behind me. What the hell just happened here? That wasn't the Yixing that had been keeping me company. That was Prince Yixing, a display model for the world to see. Not the boy I was falling so hard, so fast for.

Instead of going to my room like I should have, I found myself wandering aimlessly around, no end destination in mind. Maybe if I kept moving I could just forget about all of this. I passed the kitchens, the dining hall, the throne room, countless spare rooms and guest rooms. I passed rooms whose sole purpose was for passions. A piano and violin in one. A small stage with spotlights in another. I couldn't say my parents didn't shower me with affection, because they did. I had everything I could ever think I needed.

Except a clue about my future. I didn't have that, as much as I wanted it. The only thing I knew for certain was, whatever the outcome, it seemed I was destined to be unhappy. If I did hide what I felt and took a bride, I'd fear my love would forever be false, built only on a sense of duty and not of any actual affection. And if I did ever mention how I felt to my parents... Well, I wouldn't be "Prince Junmyeon" much longer after that. Princes couldn't like other princes. It was like some unspoken rule, and breaking it was beyond taboo.

I found myself mounting the staircase to the tower, an area that was normally forbidden. But right now I didn't particularly care. I emerged into a musty room that looked like it hadn't been used in years. I stalked to the windows, throwing the curtains aside. I sulked, feeling simultaneously tired and wide awake all the same time. Life was complicated. Way more complicated than it needed to be.