Chapter 11

Shae could feel his skin burning at the will of the sun. He stood in the small group of people surrounding James, who was siphoning gas from a grey, battered minivan, with weird bumper stickers on the back. Some used such profane language that Shae was surprised the owner of the minivan was legally allowed to keep them on. Once James had filled the gas can with stolen gas, he shooed the small crowd of friends away, with Phalen trailing behind him, inquiring on his method of siphoning gas. 

Shae looked around at the scenery of the deserted highway. In the distance he saw shadowed blue mountains against a stunningly blue backdrop. against the mountains he saw a faded line of tall city buildings. They were close to Seattle. 

He noticed Izabel leaning up against the side of a rusty truck, its shadow covering her face. She had a pained look on her face, it slightly sickened Shae to see Izabel in pain. Her bow was clutched in one fragile hand, a hand that had held pens and pencils alike, and her arm was crossed around her stomach. Her eyes were closed, her chest rising and falling. Was she having a bad dream? 

Shae heard the car start up, and Lee called his name, to which he asked them to give him a second, so he could get Izabel. 

Shae knelt down, his hair brown hair flopped to one side of his face, his blue eyes wide. He reached out a hand and placed it on Izabel's thin shoulder. He felt her swarm sticky skin underneath his palm. 

"Izabel." He said, shaking her lightly

Her wide green eyes opened, and Shae's heart stopped, 

Maybe it was the lighting, the shadow that covered her eyes really brought out the outer ring of blue around the outside of her iris's. Shae blinked a couple of times. 

"Is it time to go?" Asked Izabel yawning. 

Shae nodded, before helping her up. They gathered in the car. 

Sunny many times pointed out how close the city building were, whilst watching smoke pour from three different ones, and asked Phalen about air pollution. 

Shae noticed that his mom had not talked to anyone since Ann's death. He reached his arm out to the passenger seat, grabbing a hold of his mothers shoulder. She reached out and placed her hand on his. 

"Once we get to the place Lee is talking about, we'll be fine." Catherine said, a slight smile on her face. Shae took a deep breath. 

"Yeah I hope so." 

The car ride was not in the least bit quiet, with Lee over explaining about PANOS and how the leader of the organization is an absolute asshole. He sends people on missions to super dangerous area's and covers up disappearances by saying, 'they broke one of the rules, so they were kicked out,  when really they either got so fed up with his rule and ran away, or they died on their mission. 

"The rules?" asked Phalen. 

"Yeah," Micheal huffed, crossing him arms, "Do not attempt to contact anyone out of state, refrain from any sexual act or misconduct, and never deny your president." 

"Sounds like communism to me." Laine laughed, the car slipped into an awkward silence. Maddison gave Laine a weird look before shrugging her shoulders and returning to her notebook. 

"Whats the leaders name?" asked Laine desperately trying to get attention off of him, who sat behind Shae and Izabel next to Madison, who was still vigorously writing in a notebook. 

"I don't even wanna say it," Lee said, her hands clenched the steering wheel so tightly, her knuckles turned white. 

"Yeah," James laughed, "She has a grudge against him, at first she refused to lead the mission to blow up the bridge, but he threatened to separate us."  

"His name is Phillip," Lee said under her breath. 

"That sounds like the name a person like him would have." 

"Oh god I need some coffee," Lee whimpered, running a hand through her hair. 

Shae snickered to himself as he looked out the window, tall buildings and empty streets continuously rolled by as they entered Seattle, what used to be so lively was now an empty ghost town. 

The car stopped in front of a huge dome like building with a long line from its entrance, a sign plastered above the doors reading 'entrance examination.' 

"we're here." Micheal said, opening the van door. 

It smelled like grease and death, Shae noticed, but only one thing was on his mind. How was the group going to stay together past the examination?