Chapter 4

Scratch Scratch Scratch

Laine sat up groggily. His blanket fell to his hips and his grey hoodie was creased with markings of sleep. His curly blonde hair was frighted and wild. It was still pitch black outside, and something had woken him up. He rubbed the sleepiness from his eyes. 

Laine glanced down at the body that laid right next to him, her stomach was rising with soft breaths, her mouth half open and her wrist covered her eyes while her other hand was on the ground next to Laine's leg. He smiled to himself a little bit before someone placed a hand on his shoulder-

"Wha-" He yelled, and turned around to see Shae is his Star Wars pajamas and Dungeons and Dragons t-shirt, his finger pressed to his mouth, a quiet sign for Laine to shut up. His eyes were wide with fear. Laine had only seen Shae this scared once, and it was after the whole Izabell thing a while ago, right after he and Laine began to become close. 

At that time, Laine had grown pretty close to Izabell and Maddison as well. The group was hanging out, strolling up and down Phalen's long driveway, talking and listening to the sounds of the ocean and beach noises, birds, driftwood clanking together on the shores. They were sitting on Phalen's porch, drinking iced tea and eating cheese sandwiches when Izabell got a call from her mom. Her cousin Jeremy had just died. Since they all lived pretty close, Izabell walked home and her friends didn't here from her for the next three days, she wasn't at school, she didn't answer her phone. She cut herself off from the world, and she's still recovering.

All Laine knew was that Jeremy was basically like a brother to Izabell. They grew up together when her aunt came to live on the island for a few years, then they moved up to Anacortes and came down for monthly visits. Izabell's heart was broken, and Shae wanted to fix it, he wanted so badly to fix it so she could feel better again. But it was like putting a band aid on a bullet wound. 

And now here was Laine, grabbing onto Shae's arm, thinking about that day, as he and Shae made their way into the kitchen to talk. Shae shook Laine off his arm and turned to him. Moonlight flooded through the kitchen window and lit up one side of his face, Shae's blue eyes looked frightened, and made Laine slightly scared as well. 

"Whats up?" Spoke Laine. 

"Be quiet!" Shae pressed his finger to Laine's lips and peeked over his shoulder. Maddison shifted her sleeping position. Laine heard her move and stood stalk still. He took Shae's finger off of his mouth and licked his lips, Shae shook his head, trying not to laugh, then took a sharp breath.

"Whats up?" Laine asked again, in a hushed tone. 

Scratch Scratch Scratch

Laine whipped around and looked down the hallway to see the door that led onto the outside porch. Was that where the noise was originating from? 

"There's someone out there-"

"A zombie?" Pressed Laine loudly, his light blue eyes widening. 

"Oh my GOD, Laine!" Shae covered Laine's whole mouth this time with his palm, then with his other hand reached back into a drawer and pulled out a kitchen knife, and closed the drawer safely, not a sound. Laine heard the knives clink softly. 

"Mfph Mrrrph MRFPH?" Laine tore away Shae's hand. 

"Ugh, Why is everyone awake?" Maddison asked groggily as she walked into the kitchen, grabbing a leftover piece of bread from the counter. 

"Way to go," Shae rolled his eyes, Laine was staring at Maddison. 

"Sleep well?" He whisper-asked.