Chapter 7

Maddison was the first one to hear the screaming. It tore through the air like the ripping of fabric, loud, so loud. Maddison was still in slight shock from all this new information, new people and the bridge's collapse. 

She grabbed Sunny's arm in one hand and a knife in the other. The crew turned toward the shreiking. About twenty meters away laid a girl, a creature looking down at her, its eyes twinkling with hunger. The creatures hair hung around it's face. Its jaw opened to the size of a basketball, saliva dripping from its teeth and brought it's mouth down on the writhing girls neck. She froze in shock, her limbs stretched out, reaching for something as she gasped for air. Then, before one last attempt, fell limp. 

The girl didn't look to familiar, she had long blonde hair that was dirty and bunchy, but Maddison felt guilt wash over her. She could've saved that girl if she tried. 

"Oh my god," screamed Izabell. 

Before Maddison could even turn around to hush Izabell, the zombie looked her straight in the eye, and bounded toward her. Its dead black eyes rolling in its sockets, its flesh hung from its bones like a coat on a clothing hanger. Sunny broke free of Maddisons grasp and cocked an arrow in her bow, raising it up to her eyes, her small fingers shaking.

She noticed Laine beside her, he was telling her something, but she only heard ringing, she only saw Laines lips moving and heard ringing. As the Zombie trampled toward them, her limbs were frozen. She was a block of ice in the ocean. 

"Stand back, Laine." She muttered quietly. The creature was less than fifteen meters away, and Maddison tightened her grip on her knife, its blade glinting in the sun light. 

Laine protested roughly, "Maddison-" 

She turned toward him, "Laine, your not always going to be there for me, okay? I need to learn to do this on my own." Her voice cracked. 

"But I know you, Maddie," He put his hand on her shoulder, "I know you couldn't kill anything, even if you tried." 

Maddison looked at Laine, but all she saw was a more watery version of him, her tears masked her vision, she blinked and two rolled down her cheeks. 

"Maddie, don't do this." Phalen interviened quietly, "You don't have to-" 

But before Phalen could finish, Maddison ran toward the creature, raising her arms and plunging the knife into its left eye. The creature screamed and gurgled as it fell to the ground, in a heap of flesh and bones, no longer human bones, not even some kind of animal. 

Maddison dropped her knife to the ground, her face scrunching up, she cried. She wiped away hot tears as her face grew more red, the angrier and scareder she got. This was nothing like shooting the creature, she actually felt its flesh bend at her will. Maddison felt a hand placed around her shoulders, it was toned with lean defined muscles. Laine. 

"Maddison." Laine whispered, "You did good."

Sunny rested her grip and lowered her bow, and followed the others to Lee, Micheal and James' van, all taking a seat in the car. 

"I could've saved the girl," Maddison cried, "If only my reaction time was faster." 

"That girl was already dead, she was bleeding, and when you come in blood contact with one of those zombies-"

"I know, I know."  Maddison said reluctantly, eyeing the sea side. She was scared to turn towards him, 

"You know, it was kinda hot when you stabbed it though." 

"Laine," Maddison laughed, turning towards him, "We're probably in danger, I bet theres more of them." 

"I know," He said, sighing, "but you're so fun to hug," Laine placed his chin on Maddison shoulder. 

After a while, Catherine called Laine and Maddison into the car, with lee in the passenger seat, directing them the way to PANOS headquarters. 

The car ride was suprisingly joyful, with singing and laughing, Maddison felt right at home again. But still, the thought of the flesh on the being bending at the tip of her knife, splitting the fine weaved skin and tearing into its veins. She shuttered. 

Once it had gotten more dark out, the sun fell below the tips of fir tree's, and birds sung goodnight to their neighbors, Maddison felt a warm pair of lips on her cheek, she turned toward the boy, who's eyes she could see from a mile away. So blue, they glowed like striking lightning, on the tallest of towers, from the thin layers of clouds.

"You know I love you, right?" Laine whispered to her, his voice getting caught in the wind as he wrapped his arms around Maddison's waist and fell fast asleep.