Chapter 30

*Alfie's Point Of View*

Me: You ready?

Hanna comes out of our room with her suitcase containing everything we both needed for the next couple of days at my parents.

Hanna: Yes, wait...

She places the suitcase by the front door and goes into the fridge to get a coke. Her hair is tied loosely into a high ponytail, hanging over her left shoulder. I look at her with the baggy dark green jumper and tracksuit on, comfy clothes for the long journey ahead of us.

Hanna: I just need to use the bathroom for a minute?

I grab her arm to stop her going any further.

Me: Don't put makeup on monkey, you are so perfect without it.

Hanna: I think I umm...

She bows her head, wanting to hide slightly from me where she is feeling self-conscious. Hanna never wears much make up, just enough to cover the imperfections of her skin. I have always hated her doing it. I place my hand under her chin, interlocking my other hand with hers. Slowly I tilt her chin up so she is looking up at me. I am around a head taller than her so she is just the perfect height.

Me: Don't ever feel self-conscious about yourself, I love you the way you look naturally.

I lean in, kissing her lightly on the lips.

Caspar: Are you two, oh no! Please get a room!

Hanna and I break apart and individually go and hug Caspar goodbye. As we descend in the lift, I slip my hand behind her back. Hanna leans her head onto my shoulder and we stand there in silence. We reach the bottom floor and I grab the suitcase and walk to the car with Han. I open the boot, chucking in the case and slip into the driver's seat.

The journey begins in silence. Hanna looking out the window but her hand still interlocked with mine. I let go for a second and put the radio on.

Hanna: Oh no! I don't like this song.

Me: Change it then monkey. Put on something you like.

Hanna changes it over to Capital radio where they are playing a recap of popular songs over the years. Thrift shop starts to play, Hanna singing along.

Hanna: I'm gonna pop some tags, only got twenty dollars in my pocket.

Me: You're a monkey.

Hanna: I'm your monkey.

More songs play an every now and again we start humming along. I pull into a service station with only half the journey left. Hanna runs out and buys us both a hot chocolate and is back within no time. We carry on driving, sipping our drinks. When I go over a speed bump a bit too fast.

Hanna: Ahhh!!!

Me: Monkey, what's the matter?

Hanna: I spilt all my hot chocolate over my jumper, I'm soaked!

Me: I'll pull over here quickly.

I park the car and look over to see Hanna's jumper soaked and an empty cup.

Me: Come on, let's take this off.

Hanna: But I'm not wearing a top underneath this Alf.

Me: Oh monkey, look take mine.

I take off my hoodie and place it on her lap. Hanna quickly changes jumpers. My jumper is all baggy, the arms longer than hers where it is so much bigger.

Me: I love you wearing my jumpers.

Hanna: I love wearing your jumpers. They smell like you.

Me: You look so small and precious.

Hanna leans in and kisses my cheek.

Hanna: I love you.

Me: I love you more.

I pull out into the road and begin the final part of the drive.

Me: So Han, what should we listen to?

I get no response.

Me: Han?

I look over and see her snuggled up asleep. Her hair falls gently over her shoulder, her arms wrapped tightly around herself. Here I realised how precious she is to me. I can't ever hurt her again, never betray her, keep her safe from harm. I want to keep her by my side forever and onwards, I can never lose the girl sat next to me.