1

"Some women are lost in the fire. Some women are built from it."
—Michelle K.

Sharp tree branches slashed at her cheeks, leaving thin scarlet streaks across her face. She ducked under a thick branch, but somehow the vegetation still made its way into her mouth. She gracelessly spit it out, still sprinting faster than she had ever ran before.

Percy glanced up at the sky as she jumped over a fallen tree. "Godsdammit," she growled irritably, "it's Washington. Rain." She snarled up at the sky, as if her command would be followed. Zeus was never a fan of her, as if he'd grant her wish. The rain would give her the boost of energy she needed and heal the bruises and the scratches that were beginning to get on her nerves. Percy craned her neck around to see if the monster was still following her. She didn't need to look for long as a skin crawling snarl cut through the air. Percy grit her teeth and sped up ducking under a rather large branch.

Just make it to her, Percy urged herself, the pain in her side aching more with each step. She's waiting, just get there. Percy twisted around a poking branch, swatting a sticky spider web out of her face. Percy glanced behind her as a roaring growl erupted from the throat of the black wolf. It was huge, about the size of Mrs. O'Leary, but definitely not as cute as her. A brownish, dirt-colored wolf-like monster, smaller than the leader, bounded behind the other one, along with another behind the brown one. They were gaining on her, and Percy was running low on energy.

If the gods would just give her one damn break after saving their godly butts from Kronos, but no. No breaks for the demigods that saved the world almost a year ago.

Just get up this hill and around that huge trunk, she growled to herself, Annabeth's waiting. Annabeth. The name of her best friend pushed Percy to run harder, faster, to focus her energy more. But the growing pain in her side and the feeling of her muscles reaching for more oxygen, for a little break, was pushing her past her limits.

A jarring howl rammed into Percy like a freight train, momentarily distracting her. With a sickening pop and a sharp twist of her knee, Percy screamed painfully and fell hard to the ground. Moss and mud splashed around her and coated her neck and clothes. After a moment's shock, Percy shakily uncapped Riptide and tried to stand, but immediately fell hard to the ground with a silent scream. She looked down at her knee; it was already swelling to the size of a baby's head.

All was silent. Percy didn't dare yell for help, for she would lead Annabeth into a dangerous mess.

The two wolf-like monsters strutted chillingly toward Percy, their tongue smacking against their sharp fangs. Their eyes glowed harshly as they glared down their prey, an almost 17 year old daughter of Poseidon. Percy wondered for a second if she would taste like fish, maybe crab...tuna? She involuntarily shivered at the thought of the wolf things eating her like a tunafish sandwich. Mhmm, sandwich. Percy shook her head. Focus, Jackson, she reminded herself.

Percy gritted her teeth and sliced the air in front of her, but the monsters did not waver. Their dark eyes gleamed at her as they growled. Riptide hummed in her cold hand. If they could just get a little closer...

Suddenly the bigger one lashed toward her, barring its fangs, a snarl ripping through its throat. She could feel the snarl reverberate throughout her bones. Percy swung Riptide in a downward arch at the monster, but it went right through it.

Percy's blood went cold as her only defense failed. How? She barely had time to think, "Oh shit," before the wolf sunk its sharp, gleaming teeth into her side and chomped down, breaking ribs and tearing at organ and muscle. Blood gushed from her side as Percy silently screamed.

——

'Leah!'

'Leah, come on. Stop lagging behind.'