34. The Deal

The next day John and Amelia drove to the compound, pulling up in front of Joseph's house. "I have ordered some men to bring deputy Hudson here, so that we can take her somewhere safe afterwards" John told her as they climbed out of the car.

"Thank you so much John, this means so much to me" Amelia smiled as they walked up to the door, side by side.

"I know, that's why I am doing it" he smiled at her before knocking on the door. Amelia smiled back up at him before the front door of the house opened, revealing Joseph.

"Good morning John, good morning Deputy. I believe that you wish to speak to me" Joseph said calmly, offering her a small smile.

"That's right...it's about deputy Pratt and the Marshal" Amelia nodded.

"Please, come in" Joseph nodded back and stepped aside, allowing John and Amelia to walk into the house.

The pair were instantly met by Faith, hugging them both happily. She gestured for them to follow her into the living room, were Pratt and Burke were sitting. Pratt was nervously looking down at his hands and Burke was smiling to himself, if Amelia didn't know him any better she would say that he was humming softly.

Amelia had a confused expression on her face and even John looked at his brother in confusion. "I had a feeling that you would like to discuss your friends' situation. I assume that you want them to be freed, even though they are free here. We wish to show them the truth, to give them clarity" Joseph tilted his head, looking at the deputy with a confident yet comforting expression on his face.

"Joseph, I am not here to question your beliefs or to offend you. I want what is best for my friends" Amelia sighed, trying to defend herself.

"This is what is best for them, they are safe here, they are where they belong" Joseph smiled a little, gesturing at the two on the sofa.

"Pratt is a nervous wreck-" the deputy began to speak but was cut off.

"I have agreed to her terms, to let her decide what happens to deputy Hudson. Please offer her the same courtesy" John interrupted but Amelia didn't mind as he was defending her.

"Very well brother, what exactly do you request?" the Father asked the woman after nodding at his brother.

"Hudson, Pratt and Burke get sent to a safe location. One that I choose" she told him.

"Alright, where would you take them?" he asked, almost as if he was still trying to convince her to let them stay.

"Where is Whitehorse, the sheriff?" Amelia asked, remembering that nobody had captured Whitehorse and she hoped that he was still alive.

"The Hope County Jail, he and some others have claimed it for themselves" Faith told her with as smile, she seemed a little sad but was willing to let Burke go.

"I want to take them there, so that they are all together again" Rook explained, smiling a little awkwardly.

"And you wish to take them yourself?" Joseph asked, willing to send a member of his flock to deliver them.

"I do" Amelia nodded confidently, she didn't trust a member of the flock to keep them safe and to not just kill them without her knowing.

"That's a reasonable request, I am sure that John will accompany you. We will let you speak privately for a moment" Joseph nodded and smiled before guiding Faith and John out of the room, leaving Amelia, Pratt and Burke together.

The deputy instantly rushed over to the sofa where they were sitting. "I told you that I would get you out of here" she smiled, crouching down in front of Pratt.