33. I Was Worried

Jacob pulled the truck up outside of the ranch and waited for the deputy to leave. Pratt climbed out of the truck quickly, opening Amelia's door for her. She thanked him as she climbed out and shut the door behind her. Jacob waited impatiently but let them say their goodbyes.

Amelia pulled Pratt into a hug. "I am going to get you out of here, I promise, you just have to trust me" she whispered in his ear, feeling his embrace tighten.

"I trust you Rook" he whispered back. They hesitantly pulled away from each other before Pratt climbed back into the back seat of the truck and Amelia walked towards the ranch.

She listened to the truck drive away as she opened the front door, she could hear talking from another room. John must be home already. Amelia took her jacket off and hung it up before walking toward the voice. The sound led her to John's office door, she was about to open it when she heard John's voice through the door.

"Somebody could've warned me, what if he says something else to upset her?...Why did you ask him to do that anyway?...yes Joseph...I understand...see you soon" he sounded frustrated but his voice just became defeated and tired by the end, Amelia figured that he was on the phone with Joseph.

Amelia pushed the door open to see John's back, he was leaning forward on his desk with his head hanging. He looked as if he was trying to compose himself. "John?" Amelia asked quietly.

The baptist spun around with a concerned expression. "I'm sorry Amelia, I had no idea that my brother was going to show up" he apologised, walking towards her almost cautiously.

"Jacob said that you gave him permission or something" Amelia furrowed her brow in confusion.

"He did? He never mentioned it to me, apparently Joseph asked him to talk to you" John shook his head.

"Yeah he said that Joseph wanted us to bond, or something like that. Joseph wanted Jacob to apologise for what he said the other day" she explained, surprised that John knew nothing about this.

"Did he apologise?" John asked, feeling as if he already knew the answer. Jacob wasn't really the type to apologise.

"No...but he took me hunting" Amelia informed him, still trying to wrap her own head around it.

"He took you hunting? My brothers never fail to surprise me...he didn't say anything to upset you did he?" he asked, approaching her again. He didn't want to get too close just in case she was upset with him and he didn't want her to push him away.

"No, actually he wasn't that bad" she laughed a little, closing the distance between her and John. She wrapped her arms around his neck loosely, he was quick to wrap his arms around her waist and bury his face into the crook of her neck.

"I got home and you weren't here...I was worried...I thought that you had left" he admitted in a whisper. Amelia was shocked by his confession but it made her heart melt.

"Stop worrying, I'm not going anywhere" she assured him, running her fingers through his hair in a comforting manner.

"I won't let anyone take you from me" John told her and if actually made her feel safe and secure. She completely relaxed into his embrace and buried her face in his shoulder.

"John...I need to talk to you about something" Amelia sighed, instantly feeling John tense as he pulled away from her.

"What is it?" he asked, holding her by the waist and looking down at her carefully.

"I want you to do something for me...I feel so guilty for abandoning my friends" she admitted, her hands resting gently on his shoulders.

"The resistance?" John asked, didn't she say that the members of the resistance weren't her friends?

"No...Hudson, Pratt, Burke...could you let them go?" she asked him softly.

"Amelia..." John sighed, unable to look her in the eyes. He couldn't say no to her when she looked at him like that.

"Please John, it's all that I ask. Just free them, nothing will change here but I will feel less guilty" Amelia begged, using one hand to make him look her in the eyes.

"Alright. I can let Deputy Hudson go, I will send her to Fall's End, but I can't promise anything for the others" he told her, he was willing to let Hudson go if it made Amelia happy. He had been neglecting Hudson recently anyway, she wasn't of much importance anymore.

"Can you do anything?" she asked, her face falling again which just about cracked John's heart.

"We will go and see Joseph tomorrow, ask him to talk to Jacob and Faith. That's the best I can do" John offered, knowing that if anyone could convince Jacob to let Pratt go it was Joseph.

"Thank you John" Amelia smiled, leaning into him and kissing him quickly.

"I will call Joseph and let him know that we will be visiting him tomorrow" he smiled down at her, wrapping his arms around her waist tightly again.

As Amelia looked up at him, that heart stopping smile and gorgeous eyes, she wondered if she was actually falling for him. The way that he made her feel was so different from anything that she has ever experienced, she feared that she would do anything for him. John had the same fear, just one look into her eyes and he would do what she asked to the best of his abilities. She made him feel a sense of comfort and security that he had never felt before, the affectionate look in her eyes was something that he had never received from anyone. Since her first day in Hope County, John knew that the deputy was different but he never expected her to have such a personal impact on him.

I have made some decisions!!
I will be doing a bunker ending story for Joseph Seed.
And
I will be doing a singer/songwriter story for polyseed.
Thoughts???