Chapter 13

AN: There is maybe one or two more chapters left not including the epilogue! I just wanted to forewarn you all so you can get ready. I have so enjoyed writing this story and it's kind of bittersweet that it's coming to an end. I hope you like this latest chapter and I can't wait to hear what you think!

 I hope you like this latest chapter and I can't wait to hear what you think!

Lizzie was quite surprised that Raoul didn't marry her right away. She certainly had the engagement ring on her finger though. It was large, flashy, and made her hand feel ten times heavier. It made her heart feel like it was in the pit of her stomach instead of sitting in her chest too.

She was as good as could be out in the public eye but behind closed doors, she kept to herself. She had decided that being quiet was the best option to endure her new life. She was sure if she kept up her ways she would not be paraded around as she was. Then she wouldn't get her glimpses of hope each day.

Raoul often took her with him on his daily walks around the city before he went to work. He paraded her around like she was some prize he had won. When they walked the market she was able to see her friends. She seemed to always be greeted by Marius who looked to be now courting Eponine. When she first saw the pair together she couldn't help the bright grin that came across her features. She had known of Eponine's crush and she was glad that it seemed like her cousin stopped being oblivious to it. Now she gives them a small wave with a barely there smile.

Depending on how they made their lap around the circle, she saw Bahorel or Lesgles next. Bahorel was at the fan shop. He always waved to her by waving a new fan at her each day. He was friends with the fan maker and started helping with the shop. Lesgles was usually at the bakery apologizing for knocking over the basket of bread. She was surprised that the bakery allowed him to still come in. When she found out that the basket turned into their old bread basket, she couldn't help but to laugh a little. At least they had learned.

Lesgles was actually the first one of Les Amis that she talked to after everything. He was picking up bread as he apologized to the clerk. Lizzie had broken away from Raoul to go and help him. "Oh Lesgles, always making some kind of mess." She whispered, giving him a cheeky smile as she teased him.

He let out a loud gasp when he saw his old friend. She quickly shushed him so she wouldn't be pulled away too quickly. "Hello to you too, my old friend."

"Lissette! Come, we don't have time to help people clean up their own messes." Raoul ordered, motioning for her to come back to his side.

At the sound of her name, she looked up and simply nodded. She rarely ever spoke to Raoul for fear of being placed in the hospital to be cured of hysteria. "Give my love to the others. It was so good to see you." She whispered before hurrying back over to Raoul's side.

Lesgles had smiled, nodding his agreement to do just that. He finished cleaning up his mess before taking off to go find each of les amis.

Joly was at the apothecary's. He would always wave and call out. "Hope you're doing well mamselle in this sickly weather." She would always reply. "I'm doing as well as anyone can." He would nod in response and go back to what he was doing.