Chapter 5

AN: I know that it's been so long but before I have to get ready for long shifts back to back in the spirit of black friday I am going against my update schedule and posting as much as I can today. ANYWAYS I hope you enjoy the chapter and let me know what you think!

"Why are you waking me at this ungodly hour?" Lizzie cried as Marius continued to shake her shoulder

"Why are you waking me at this ungodly hour?" Lizzie cried as Marius continued to shake her shoulder. It was eight in the morning and when she usually slept an extra hour it was quite annoying that she was woken from her slumber.

"You have a suitor coming to meet you for brunch." Marius explained causing Lizzie to groan.

"I think you'll really like this one." He smirked.

Last night when Lizzie had gone to take a bath their grandfather had told Marius of the visit. Marius had to keep his laughter to himself until he could get to his room. After all his grandfather is now playing matchmaker between a potential revolutionary leader and his granddaughter who he is trying to bring back to the upper class life.

Lizzie poked her head out from under the blankets and raised an eyebrow. "How do you know?"

He backed away, with an all knowing look on his face. "Just trust me."

Marius opened the door but before he left, he turned back around. "You might want to wear your red dress."

And with that he left, closing the door behind him. Lizzie slowly got out of bed once Marius left. She wondered who this caller could be and why Marius was so smug. She went and pulled out her red dress. She wasn't sure why Marius suggested this dress. It was her nicer dress from when she lived with her mother but it still didn't meet grandfather's standards and if she was supposed to meet a potential suitor should she be dressing in one of her dresses he got for her.

Marius let Enjolras in and lead him into the parlor. "She's not going to think it's you, you know."

Enjolras ran a hand through his hair. "Yeah, I know. I just hope this doesn't backfire on me."

"Why did you do it?" Marius asked, truly curious.

"To keep her away from the Inspector's son and to keep her around to help with the revolution plans. She's got some insight that a very few of us have." Enjolras answered.

"And because you fancy her?" Marius asked, knowing his friend.

"What?" Enjolras looked over at Marius with wide eyes.

"Enjolras!" Lizzie exclaimed when she saw him in the parlor.

Both men looked over just in time for Lizzie to throw her arms around Enjolras in a grateful hug. "You've come to rescue me. Hurry before my suitor comes calling. We can go out the back."

Marius laughed as Enjolras chuckled slightly, pulling her back. "Actually, Lizzie, I'm the suitor who called on you."

Lizzie's eyes grew wide. "What? You can't be serious. This is a joke right? Stop stalling we have to go before grandfather shows up."

"Lissette, I know you know Monsieur Enjolras but you could have at least have put on a nicer dress." Monsieur Pontmercy said as he entered the room.

"I think it's lovely." Enjolras spoke up before Lizzie could retort. Lizzie looked over at him with a smile that was a mix of gratefulness and shyness. The seriousness of the situation was beginning to sink in.

The Pontmercy men noticed the small interaction. Marius tried to hide his smile while their grandfather kept a stoic expression. Over tea Monsieur Pontmercy continued to test Enjolras with various questions. When Lizzie was tired of the interrogation, she offered a walk in the garden.

She and Enjolras led while Marius and Monsieur Pontmercy walked behind them at chaperone distance. "So why exactly did you decide to do this? I could've handled that Raoul." Lizzie asked when she felt like they were far enough away from her cousin and grandfather.

Enjolras shrugged. "I didn't want you to. Besides I figured this would be the best way to keep you around."

"Do you not trust me? I would have figured out how to keep coming to the meetings. This cause is important to me too. Besides I couldn't stay away from les amis for too long." Lizzie replied.

"I do trust you, very much actually but it's your grandfather and Raoul that I don't trust so I thought this would be the best way to keep them out all together. You're not upset with me are you?"

Lizzie shook her head. "No, I'm not upset. I'm rather grateful actually." She smiled up at him. "Looks like we'll be spending a lot of time together then."

"I certainly don't mind." Enjolras said, smiling in return.

"And I promise we'll have more privacy the next time you decide to call."

Enjolras shrugged. "Don't worry about it. That's one of the things about this world. You've got to be watched until they deem it okay for you not to be."

Lizzie wrinkled her nose. "Well, I don't like it."

He chuckled. "Honestly, neither do I."

Lizzie looked up at him, her eyes sparkling. Enjolras raised his eyebrow as they slowed down. Lizzie unhooked their arms before tapping his shoulder and running off. "You're it!" She cried out, running as fast as she could to get to the small hedge maze near the back of the garden.

Enjolras laughed as he chased after her.

"What on earth are they doing?" Monsieur Pontmercy asked, appalled at what he was witnessing.

"They're playing a game. Shouldn't you be happy that Lizzie isn't so tense looking around a suitor? She's actually happy and laughing. She'll even be looked after and listen to what society says is right. She'll reclaim the proper Pontmercy name. Isn't that what you wanted?" Marius asked, knowing very well he was playing up what he knew his grandfather wanted.

Monsieur Pontmercy nodded. "Yes, and you believe that Monsieur Enjolras will be the man to do that?"

"I believe it wholeheartedly. I knew there was something special between them the moment I introduced them and as their friendship grew I knew I was right." Marius said.

"Then I guess I will let go of my wishes of Raoul Javert and Lissette. Monsieur Enjolras is after all of higher status and I do wish the best for the both of you no matter how much you both disagree with me." Monsieur Pontmercy said.

Marius placed a hand on his grandfather's shoulder. "Thank you, grandfather." 

AN: I hope you enjoyed the latest chapter of Until the Earth is Free! Don't forget to vote and to let me know what you think! It means the world!