Chapter 8

AN: I feel like I should really call this chapter Family Affairs cause that's pretty much what this is but that would mess with my chapter naming theme haha ANYWAYS enjoy a look into the Pontmercy Manor. As always hope you enjoy and let me know what you think!

Since Enjolras'  arrest, life around the Pontmercy Manor was tense

Since Enjolras' arrest, life around the Pontmercy Manor was tense. Monsieur Pontmercy would not allow Enjolras a free pass to visit whenever he wished like had grown accustomed to. Instead that permission was granted to Raoul. Lizzie could only ever see Enjolras if she was accompanied by Marius.

This rule soon lead to the cousins scheming behind their grandfather's back. They even got the maids, cooks, and butlers involved. The butlers had a special knock when announcing that Raoul had arrived. The maids knew code words to whisper to either Marius or Lizzie to warn them of the unwanted suitor. The cooks didn't say a word as the kitchen was often passageway for the cousins to escape. There were times, of course when things didn't go their way and Lizzie was stuck with spending time with Raoul. Most of the time, Marius was there by her side during his visits but there were the special occasions that Marius was out when Raoul came to visit.

Since the arrest planning the revolution also became quieter. Les Amis managed to get meetings with General Lamarque and the older gentleman admired the work that they were doing. He didn't want to know the details but he took suggestions on how he and his command could do better. For this consideration, Les Amis was grateful and held an even higher respect for the general.

Lizzie was just about to escape from the manor but it seemed the world had other plans. "Lissette, my dear, where on earth are you going?" Monsieur Pontmercy asked as he saw his granddaughter open the front door.

Lizzie sighed and closed the door back. "I was planning on meeting Marius for lunch but I'm assuming you have other plans?" She arched her eyebrow in a questioning manner.

"I was hoping you could sing a few songs for me. It's been some time since your voice filled these halls and I do rather miss it." He answered, ushering her to follow him into the parlor. "We'll have one of the maids bring us some lunch."

She reluctantly nodded, following her grandfather into the room off the main hall. Lizzie sat at the piano and soon began playing a sad folk song with the music dancing underneath the sad lyrics. Her grandfather at first was shocked at hearing the folk song but he knew that they were easier to learn to play on piano. The way Lizzie's fingers moved so easily about the white and black keys, he knew that this was a familiar and favorite tune.

Lizzie moved onto an aria that would better suit what her grandfather was expecting to hear when he asked her to sing. She couldn't very well perform the set list of songs she performed each night at the taverns. The aria still set in the low end of her vocal range since she wasn't properly warmed up. In these moments it was just her and the piano. Lizzie wasn't thinking about who was watching or the ulterior motive that her grandfather might have with his request.